lack of communications?/miscommunications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nchgaming

Reaction score
I found this post earlier, and frankly find it a bit disturbing. No offense intended but
Absolut

I'm doing a reboot of this server -- it's been up for about 70 days now and needs a rest =P. It will be back up in about 5 minutes.

-Corey

There appears to be a communication problem. (or a definition problem)

This was posted earlier TODAY. No correct me if I'm wrong, but this does not SEEM to be entirely correct. Absolut has been a YoYo, for the last SEVERAL days, and has been out (according to various sources) several times COMPLETELY.

Everyone is getting progressively more and more frustrated with the UNKNOWN.
Trying to keep this on a positive note ALL users should be aware that these guys ARE busting their butts off to get this going smoothly, and we're NOT helping, BUT I do also understand that everyone has their own needs, and one of those needs is to know what's going on. Now many of us just simply would like to honestly know what to expect. No response, tends to scare people. People who NEED more, but are simply weary from bad host after bad host, are quickly losing faith as to how much better X10 hosting is. Even though X10 far exceeds most other free hosting, this recent trend is scaring people off. I am one of these people who are here for BOTH hobby AND business. My boss is expecting me to launch his business site soon, but I'm finding this turbulence is clouding my decision. My "hobby" site has been performing like it's on a dial-up local server, back in 1990. The part that concerns me the most, though, is the frequency of occurence and that it appears to effect MULTIPLE servers randomly. Almost as if there were something cross linked at the heart of the problem, effecting more than one server at a time, but not neccassarily bringing them down. I'd previously stated a coincidence between Absolut's HTTP and Lotus being offline. This is only based on information found here (accurate or not), and the fact that the coincidence has been frequent, but not consistant.
I'm still not planning to go anywhere else, but I'm not willing to consider putting my boss's site up yet, to save myself the embarassment.
I wish I understood as much about this stuff as I do automechanics, and mechanical engineering, but I don't...

Picard1595

Reaction score
Well if you really want to avoid these issues, just get the paid service, especially since the website you are hosting is for your boss. Paid hosting doesn't cost much and is pretty much always up, my site has gone down once in the last 6 months and that was only for 5 minutes, not to mention you get priority support.

Hired_Goon

Reaction score
Yep, Absolutely agree on the yo-yo effect of absolut for the past few months.

That little 5 minute outage was enough to break me. On the fifth hour into the reboot I cracked out my credit card and signed up for paid hosting. I then released my website to the world and have traffic volumes of

08 Mar 2009 16 74 157 1.16 MB
09 Mar 2009 22 21469 25948 235.91 MB
10 Mar 2009 16 400 489 3.86 MB <<< @ 12:20 am

from a twenty four hour period.

On the upside, now that I have moved my traffic off absolut, it might stay up for a bit longer. I think I was causing too much load all by myself to absolut.

Did I pay my money to x10? Sorry Guys, I posted enough about freehosting being your best advertising for paid services and it couldn't handle the ten people I had testing my site, let alone the ten thousand that will be using it next month.

Such a pity, I really liked the services on offer here and even the paid prices are comparable, but not the reliability.

Reaction score
How do you even know about the reliability of the paid servers? Paid 'customers' are on different servers for a reason so they're not affected by the thousands of free accounts clogging the servers.

Last edited:

Hired_Goon

Reaction score
How do you even know about the reliability of the paid servers? Paid 'customers' are on different servers for a reason so they're not affected by the thousands of free accounts clogging the servers.

You just don't get it do you Martin?

If it takes 6 hours to get a free server back online for a 5 minute reboot and it's still dropping out 30 mins later, then why SHOULD I have enough confidence to believe paid services would be any better?

Remember, when it's being rebooted there are zero users causing zero load.

User experience over the last three months fail to give me the confidence to spend my money.

Too many users? Throttle it till it gets under control. I'd rather have a slow site than a dead one!

Show people confidence in the service and they will spend the money here.

If you are offered a free test drive for a new car, you expect the engine to start.

Reaction score
Quite clearly you don't like it. Fair enough. I'm not arguing that. Why are you still here then? You've moved your hosting, yet still here complaining?

That makes total sense. As it is; you're not asking for support so closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.