Laptop Issue's

tcmose0371

Reaction score
Ok i broke my laptop screen when i dropped it on the floor in my bed room. so i replaced the screen with a brand new one same spec's and everything and when i turn the laptop on the screen doesnt come on but it shows the laptop is on?

The cpu fans dosnt spin or anything

Any help!!!

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Are you sure that screen is the only component that you have damaged?

Open it and check your laptop's motherboard.

If the wires connecting fans are disconnected/loose, connect them and try again.

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ideally, a such drop(gentle?) should not affect the motherboard and cpu.
Hard drives and optical drives are altogether in different "genre".

Are you sure this repairer isn't trying to scam you ?
Open it and check yourself.
Did you note down the part numbers before giving it away for repairs.

Is your warranty still valid ?

Lastly, define "when i turn the laptop on the screen doesnt come on but it shows the laptop is on?".
By it - do you mean the power(not necessarily the AC supply) indicator?

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Well they said that all the wires and etc is connected good so idk wht to do
You stated earlier than fans are not running.
I am not a professional computer repairman and do not play one on TV, but if fans are not running and all wires / connections are intact then it seem obvious to me that some kind of hardware failure, (other than the display), exists.
I question the competency of your repairman.

henk506673

Reaction score
I would say you busted your video card. that is the card that is usually built in to the motherboard on laptops that not only controls the output to an external monitor but also to an internal one (such as the screen on your laptop). if you are lucky, the card is not attached to the mother board and you can just put in a new one. if you are unlucky then you will either need a new laptop or new motherboard. Good luck

tcmose0371

Reaction score
Well i took it to geeksquad and they said that either the motherboard is fried or the display chip is messed up so im gonna take it monday to get it looked at and see if it was one of them.

Well i would take it apart and look for myself but i dont know how to i took the keyboard off and i got a metal type cover under the keyboard which i dont know how to take off so ya

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well i took it to geeksquad and they said that either the motherboard is fried or the display chip is messed up so im gonna take it monday to get it looked at and see if it was one of them.

Well i would take it apart and look for myself but i dont know how to i took the keyboard off and i got a metal type cover under the keyboard which i dont know how to take off so ya

What's your laptop brand/model ?

Usually, a Torx T6 and Phillips(depends but usually #00) screw driver is all you need to open it up.

tcmose0371

Reaction score
Got the updates on the laptop!!! um they said that it was the motherboard that was shocked out because who ever that messed with the inside of the computer that replaced the screen ran wires to the wrong place , put screws in the wrong place , wires were touching and wires were connected where they shouldn't be connected at.

rolandr

Reaction score
uh, if you plan to get another laptop don't get an Hewlett Packard G71 340US. Specs looks great on paper => (17.3" screen, DVD+/-RW, 4G RAM, Intel Duo processor, etc ... crappy motherboard.

Read my post rant. It dies two weeks after the one year warranty expires. Had two computer repair persons look at it, both diagnose the same thing, crappy motherboard.

No More HP computer for me.

leeoliberamal70

Reaction score
Got the updates on the laptop!!! um they said that it was the motherboard that was shocked out because who ever that messed with the inside of the computer that replaced the screen ran wires to the wrong place , put screws in the wrong place , wires were touching and wires were connected where they shouldn't be connected at.

That would be impossible that wires where put in the wrong places. As long as I know, computer hardware connection are error-free panels. Its purpose to minimize the error/mistakes of the technician in putting wires. I know because, I've also done it (opening my laptop) though I have some skills learn in googleing, watching videos in youtube, tools, and little bit experience in other electronic appliances.

My diagnose in your case is that while you broke you laptop there are some sensitive parts in it where broken together with your screen. That would be the inverter(the one attaches to the lcd screen lead), motherboard, processor, and the heat sink with a fan. Remember that, this where attached by thin leads a hard shake would broke the attachments.

I think that your technician just don't told you what happen so that you will pay him for an extra... hehehe.. lol..

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

uh, if you plan to get another laptop don't get an Hewlett Packard G71 340US. Specs looks great on paper => (17.3" screen, DVD+/-RW, 4G RAM, Intel Duo processor, etc ... crappy motherboard.

Read my post rant. It dies two weeks after the one year warranty expires. Had two computer repair persons look at it, both diagnose the same thing, crappy motherboard.

No More HP computer for me.

The truth is HP laptops doesn't survive for a long period of time. They may perform very well but it will heat-up fast. That's why the motherboard will burn-out either the processor. Common problems with HP laptops is it overheats easily unlike other laptops.

My advice, don't over use your laptops either HP or other brands even you're using coolers. Laptops aren't like desktop computer that has capability to run 24/7 (20 degrees centigrade room or cooler) and parts are more cheaper than laptops.

rolandr

Reaction score
Thanks leeoliberamal70,

Yeah, I'm aware that laptops do heat up. True about desktop. I still have desktop with Windows 95!

But I still have my Dell laptop (2000 Professional) and it is still running fine. The hinge of the screen is about to come off otherwise it's still running fine. Many hours of use.

As for my HP laptop, I only turn it on when I used it. I allow the battery to discharge before recharging again.

I'm not sure which brand laptop is #1 selling, I heard Accer is #2 so I'm guessing HP or Dell as #1 but I did hear that HP has a high break down rate but then the ratio of selling / breakdown was about average like the top selling brands.

Now if I had extended warranty ...