Laptop/Notebook Kits

daayglow

Reaction score
One day a customer called me and wanted a specs for a notebook that did not exist. When I told him there are no laptop kits to just build a laptop he asked why. So I ask 3 national suppliers that supply to newegg, direct, hp, etc...
They Said:
1. you can buy a barebones notebook
2. The return rate would be to much to handle
3. The major sellers pay us to much money not to.

So, is there a such thing as a laptop/notebook kit like the desktop?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't seen any laptop kits around, but I do know that if you are willing to get your hands dirty with buying the parts for one (can be hard to find), you can easilly build one. Just look around on the Internet for parts and such.

daayglow

Reaction score
just about every major company makes a bare bones laptop. But what I was thinking of was standardizing the case and motherboards and the screens so they can be interchangeable.

Today if your brand new $500 laptop has an accident the motherboard, screen or case will cost just as much as the laptop or more, but if it were standardized the cost would drop.

Which is the real reason I believe it has not happened yet, and USED laptop sell so well. And I know you can get laptops configured to your specifications most of the time, but the price can be outrages for a fragile piece of equipment.

So when your motherboard fails because it got bumped on your new laptop and HP, dell, Toshiba, Panasonic or Acer wants 600 or more to fix it---think of this thread. :)

Last edited:

nirajkum

Reaction score
well you can set your configuration ... I mean I bought the dell laptop with my configuration ... so you can choose wat you want and let them know they will ship your laptop

frankfriend

Reaction score
I do not know anyone who has built their own laptop, but many people who built their own desktops. As you said, the dektops are standardised and laptops don't seem to be. Although there are quite a few lowend ones which are really rebadged items.

Up to recently laptops were mostly bought by corporates - and they don't do self build.