Laptop out of two desktops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Possible?
I've got ideas on how this will work...
Pretty much getting the better components out of the two, then re-arranging them to fit in my own laptop casing...

Or I might just make a better Desktop computer, but I'm attempting at a laptop first, if a few people think its possible, and can help me on how they think its possible. :metallicb

ImaGiNe.

Reaction score
It's definitely possible, however it would not be the most convenient laptop at all. You have to take into account the size of your desktop PCs components such as the 3.5" HDD, motherboard, etc. etc. If you could model something proportionate to those pieces, you might have yourself something unique and portable to say the least.

Reaction score
It's definitely possible, however it would not be the most convenient laptop at all. You have to take into account the size of your desktop PCs components such as the 3.5" HDD, motherboard, etc. etc. If you could model something proportionate to those pieces, you might have yourself something unique and portable to say the least.
I figured it would be... Yeah, I'm aware that it's not very convenient to do something like that, for the size especially. I was also figuring re-arranging them to fit tighter, might help also.

Slothie

Reaction score
Tighter fits mean less room for ventilation. Laptop procs are designed to work under less voltage and are cooler.

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
It also depends on what your desktop computer parts are. Some of them could fit well in a huge laptop but other no. If you really want to build your own laptop you would be better to buy smaller pieces with lower power consommation.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thought of this also some time back. Weight, power, form factor and cooling would be a problem.

Could insert the parts into one of those rather large brief casses you see in the movies, the ones they carry millions of dollars in.
Monitor would have to be a small LCD or ELO. The less power it used the better. Motherboard would have to be tiny, with a small CPU heat sink and fan. No PCI/AGP card, else its to big. Power supply would have to run as cool as pos and vent out of the case somehow. Keyboard slim line. DVD rom could be at a slight angle towards the front or come out of the side.

I mean you see this sort of think when they rock up to crack the banks computers in the movies, or in war movies, the army has them in the filed.

Lotsa work... by the time you done there is new CPU slots and different ram !

Reaction score
Yeah, another factor, is customization...
I've almost dis-assembled the first computer..
I just need some times to remove the last few parts holding the motherboard to the outer casing.

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Make sure you arnt staticly charged when removing the MB.

So what are you going to put all the parts in?

iLoveMacs

Reaction score
It would turn out something like the "XBox 360 Laptop" but it is definitely doable, to an extent.

beno1990

Reaction score
You'd have to drastically underclock the components to make sure they don't overheat. As someone mentioned, a laptop is designed to run on less power with less cooling and less ventilation. It's one of the reasons why laptops are never as good as PCs of the same price.

sabih

Reaction score
What about the power supply ???

Desktop motherboard works on different powers and have more current consumption than laptop motherboards. So its definitely a hard job to convert a desktop into a laptop.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I suggest you put as many good components into one desktop if possible, rather than making a large unwieldy laptop

Bfish

Reaction score
Smart , Why not just buy a mini Mac ;) Thats basically what your trying to do . 2gb of ram, DVD super drive :cool: Yeah !

Status
Not open for further replies.