Laptop, possible battery is not recharging? Battery is new.

rolandr

Reaction score
I thought my battery was shot. It had a one year warranty so I brought it in. They measured the charge. It was dead. But the cashier wanted to check my power supply too. It read 19 volts so that was o-kay.

But when I got home seems like the battery was not recharging. Battery was low. The lights for recharging is off. Could it be something in the laptop not charging the battery?

krofunk

Reaction score
It is not unheard of for the charge circuit to become faulty. If the laptop is under warranty then I would just take it back!

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
The connections at the tip of the power supply cord and the connection between the plug on the laptop and the guts of the computer are very well known to wear out or break. Unfortunately, neither of these problems are cheap or easy to fix. Even worse, your old battery wasn't bad if this is the case.

Try to find a charger that is known to work that is EXACTLY the same as your old one (check the model number of the charger so you don't fry anything!) or get a universal charger from Wal-mart (Wal-mart should take it back if you don't need it and don't break it or lose the receipt). If that doesn't fix your problem, it will probably cost more than the laptop is worth to fix. If you can use a soldering iron and feel comfortable taking your computer apart, it's not very hard to fix the broken connection in the plug or put a new plug in if the old plug is damaged (sometimes the pin in the center of the plug becomes unsoldered and may or may not be fixable). The problem is so common, there is probably a tutorial on the internet with your exact computer (maybe even a youtube video) on how to do it.

Pro tip: getting burned with a 500 degree soldering iron hurts!

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Pro tip: getting burned with a 500 degree soldering iron hurts!

But on the upside, you have at least three days during which you can detect variations in surface temperature of less than 0.01°C using only the burnt finger at distances of up to 6 meters from the surface. Do you have any idea how much a remote-sensing pyrometer with that kind of sensitivity costs?