Laptops Rock! Desktop PCs Are Soon History

Hazirak

Reaction score
Desktops aren't going away any time soon. Why? Here's an example:

My laptop is pretty recent, seven months old at best. Core 2 Duo at 2.16GHz, 2GB of RAM, 512MB video.

My desktop, on the other hand, is three years old, almost four at this point. Pentium 4 at 3GHz w/ HT enabled, 1GB RAM, 256MB video.

Arguably, going by the specs people normally look at when buying a computer or laptop, it has only half the power of my laptop, correct? Consider this:

I installed a few games on my laptop when my desktop's hard drive died. I had to turn most of the settings down quite a bit to just get an acceptable framerate, and even then it wasn't what someone could call 'wicked'. Before my desktop died, on the other hand, I had those same games installed on it. If everything wasn't turned up to full, it was still pretty darn high, and they weren't titles like Tetris or Space Invaders.

Going on that, couldn't it be argued that *gasp* a laptop's components are arguably LESS POWERFUL than those in a desktop with comparable specs??

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
My friend has a Dell M1330 laptop with a pretty decent graphics card (8300 series I believe?) Major fail at Crysis, low settings if lucky!

I've got an 8600GT in my desktop and I can run Crysis at medium and high settings!

Laptops will never be powerful as desktops; to do so you'd enter a new realm of non-transistor computing in general (not to mention it would cost you a TON)

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Laptops are meant for portability, not for power. That is what desktops are for..and plus would you rather have your notebook power 4 widescreen LCD monitors, or your desktop do that.

Jesse

Reaction score
I don't think Desktops will be a history soon...
Desktops are the most powerful, you can upgrade them as long as you want.

While laptops are best for mobility, and when you are upgrading them they are only limited on some parts.

Most of the Computer Centers, IT Center, Microsoft Corporation uses desktop on their office/buildings, only few are using laptops.

Although some of the hackers use laptop since it is portable easy to carry.

dwd2000

Reaction score
The last time I tried posting to this topic, there was a site malfunction.

I think it depends on need and preference. I work in a warehouse freezer, and too busy to even think about computers, so I have no need for a laptop. When I get home, it's a different story. I'm on it almost all the time. I've built my own PCs since 1989, with an XT.
My stepson has a laptop. I don't like it. If the screen is too close, then my arms are stretched out when I move it away. If the screen is too far away, then my elbows are scrunched as I move it closer. They are just too awkward for my taste. Laptops are great for outside sales people, like real estate, insurance, etc., because they can't bring their normal pc with them.
I'm not a certified gamer, but I do like some games. Starcraft/Broodwar, Age of Empires 2 and 3, Civ 3, NASCAR 4, to name my favorites. I have a Compaq Presario, with a 3ghz Celeron processor, that came with 256mb of ram and a 80gb hard drive, running with XP Home. It doesn't even have pci-e or agp. It now has 2gb of ram, a 256mb pci video card, 2 x 250gb hard drives added to the original 80gb drive, and a 20" LG lcd monitor @ 2ms, connected via dvi. It's more than enough for what I need.
PCs will be around for a long time. They might be in a different shape or form, but they will always be around. Laptops are like a luxury item now and will continue as such.
Just my 2 cents.

iholla

Reaction score
Wow! we laptop guys are really taking alot of fire he he.... Iam still alive and I have a comeback!

Ill tackle the main issues.

1. Better system performance for a Desktop if compared to a laptop of similar price. True! But this argument is about price, not performance. For 40 grand, you buy a Mustang. Its fast on a straight road...but come in the corners, you are going to want a Porshe for that...and that will cost you alot more. So, if you cannot afford a powerful laptop, you get a desktop. If you can afford a powerful laptop, you buy one. If I want a laptop that is as powerful as your desktop, Ill buy one.

2. Hardcore gaming, is better suited for Desktops. True! But lets face it, if I can play Mcrae's Dirt and Pro Street on my laptop, then it means I do have a wide choice of games covered. So when it comes to that sector, gaming is sooo fulfilling on a laptop too.

3. Poor heat dissipation, you could burn your laps during heavy exploitation. False! Unless your laptop was made right after the first bulky mobile phone, then heat disipation is really not a problem in laptops anymore.

4. Wi/fi is poor on laptops. False! The strength of your wi-fi signal depends on how close you are to the hot spot, how much traffic the hot spot is taking, whether there is interferance between you and the hot spot e.t.c Wi/fi reception is as good.

5. Shared memory is a problem with laptops. False! Everybody buys their computers according to what they intend to use them for. Why would you buy a laptop with a GPU with shared memory if you plan to do heavy gaming???? Infact, the memory issue has become so good in laptops now that you can have 4-Nukes(read GB) ram + 2-Nukes Vram + 4-Nukes memory boost(from flash disk)!

6. Cannot play games with touchpad. Duh! Thats why you have ports for joysticks, wired mouse and even can connect radio or bluetooth mouse. Oh yeah..."the speakers suck"??? Just like with a desktop, you can connect external speakers though laptops also have inbuilt HD stereo speakers.

7. Desktops can have 2 DVD burning drives. True but Useless! Unless I am pirating movies or software, I do not see why I need 2 DVD drives on a computer. burning 4.7 Nukes takes about 10 mins on my laptop. Burning speed depends on your roms's writing speed, hdd read rate, fsb and ram. Not the number of dvd roms.

8. 10000rpm is better than 7200rpm. Duh! However, there isn't such an arihmetic-logic or mulimedia operation that you will be doing on your desktop that will solely depend on your hdd rpm. See #7. Hence, for you, its just a statistic.

9. Replacing parts is impossible. False! The way gamers tweak out their tower cases, thats how we tweak out our laptops. Finding compatible hardware is as simple as Amazoning or E-baying it. you can replace anything from the monitors, keyboards, add custom sockets for dongles like radio, bluetooth, wi-fi, you can buy specific processors or GPU's etc. In order to do this, you usually have to replace the BIOS EEPROM too..which is easily do-able. So, where as replacement of desktop components is childs-play, replacement of laptop parts involves a lot of desoldering and soldering. I know this coz I put a custom top on my laptop and recently added a radio dongle in it too.

10. Laptops Rock! Desktop PCs Are Soon History. True! Its human history and the nature of intelligent beings. First you have a computer that takes up a whole room, then half the room, then a table...then your lap, already your palm and soon it'll just be a few chips in your body.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Reaction score
<too long to quote>

Yes, laptops are more expensive for the same performance, and much harder to upgrade or change components. The only advantage they have is a smaller size and portability.

I have no need for portability and don't have infinite money, so I prefer a desktop.

Hazirak

Reaction score
1. Better system performance for a Desktop if compared to a laptop of similar price. True! But this argument is about price, not performance. For 40 grand, you buy a Mustang. Its fast on a straight road...but come in the corners, you are going to want a Porshe for that...and that will cost you alot more. So, if you cannot afford a powerful laptop, you get a desktop. If you can afford a powerful laptop, you buy one. If I want a laptop that is as powerful as your desktop, Ill buy one.
I'll personally call foul on this one and say I'd save the money and get a desktop. If I buy a laptop, I buy it so I can go places with it and do work, not so I can buy one of these so-called 'desktop replacements' that have an hour of battery life at best (from what I'm told).

2. Hardcore gaming, is better suited for Desktops. True! But lets face it, if I can play Mcrae's Dirt and Pro Street on my laptop, then it means I do have a wide choice of games covered. So when it comes to that sector, gaming is sooo fulfilling on a laptop too.
Then you have people who like their graphics to be a little higher than sub-par. As I already pointed out, my laptop has twice the video memory of my desktop, twice the RAM, and a true dual-core CPU instead of Hyper Threading, where one core attempts to act as two. Nothing ever ended up looking as good as it did on my desktop because, ultimately, the parts were just not as powerful.

3. Poor heat dissipation, you could burn your laps during heavy exploitation. False! Unless your laptop was made right after the first bulky mobile phone, then heat disipation is really not a problem in laptops anymore.
I cry foul on this as well - with both cores on my laptop running at half their total capability, I hit 55C-60C. Steadily running at full capacity? easily 65C-70C. I can assure you, it's nothing to do with an air circulation issue. Might just be me, but 60 is pushing it a bit in my opinion.

7. Desktops can have 2 DVD burning drives. True but Useless! Unless I am pirating movies or software, I do not see why I need 2 DVD drives on a computer. burning 4.7 Nukes takes about 10 mins on my laptop. Burning speed depends on your roms's writing speed, hdd read rate, fsb and ram. Not the number of dvd roms.
Useless? I use both drives at times for things that are perfectly legal. It personally gets annoying for me to have to pull a game out of a drive to burn a CD, so I keep it in my normal DVD drive, leaving my burner free.

9. Replacing parts is impossible. False! The way gamers tweak out their tower cases, thats how we tweak out our laptops. Finding compatible hardware is as simple as Amazoning or E-baying it. you can replace anything from the monitors, keyboards, add custom sockets for dongles like radio, bluetooth, wi-fi, you can buy specific processors or GPU's etc. In order to do this, you usually have to replace the BIOS EEPROM too..which is easily do-able. So, where as replacement of desktop components is childs-play, replacement of laptop parts involves a lot of desoldering and soldering. I know this coz I put a custom top on my laptop and recently added a radio dongle in it too.
It still remains that desoldering and resoldering components (after finding all the screws that have to be removed) is a lot more time-consuming (not to mention potentially risky) than removing the panel on the side of a tower, pulling out a component that was made to be easily removed in the first place, and inserting a new one. Done. While you're still working with your piece of hot iron, I'm warming up my new pair of 8800 GTX's and extra 'Nuke' of RAM for the first time.

10. Laptops Rock! Desktop PCs Are Soon History. True! Its human history and the nature of intelligent beings. First you have a computer that takes up a whole room, then half the room, then a table...then your lap, already your palm and soon it'll just be a few chips in your body.
Sorry, Charlie. The desktop may get smaller, but it will never be replaced.

cityeyes

Reaction score
I bought a dual core 3.2ghz desktop with a 256mb Nvidia graphics card, 2 gigs of memory, and almost a terabyte of hard drive space for $600. Updating is super easy as well.

If you can get anything near to that in a laptop for that price you need to tell me where you're buying.

Laptops have an incredibly long way to go before they even get near to overtaking the desktop.

Most of the things on that list are misinformed or just plain false.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score

I prefer the term "propaganda." :)

Most of it's utter BS though - from experience, even if the laptop has identical specs to the desktop, it simply doesn't perform as well. I've got a laptop from a buddy here that needs a new copy of XP on it - 2ghz cpu 1gb ram 64mb shared video but who cares since he's not using it for gaming.

The part thats odd? It sure is a 2ghz cpu. But the whole system runs for crap - I put a very simple test program on it that occupies about 45% of my cpu on it but still runs at 30fps (it's an emulator). It maxes his cpu out, drives the termperature to upwards of 50c, and can't run at 30fps.

Now according to your logic, iholla, this shouldn't be happening - besides the video card the whole system beats out or is equal to my desktop!

Now for a REAL stumper: I thought maybe that video card was causing the problem, so I unhooked it from my pc and ran the absolute crap onboard video (8mb integrated, if it's even that big). Sure enough, pc went to 50% minimum, averaging about 60%.

So even with a worse graphics card the pc with a 1.67ghz cpu and 1gb ram with 200mb occupied (other programs were running on this pc, the laptop has only core window files running) was beating the laptop. Something's not right here, and it's all looking like laptops simply can't hold up to a pc.

HomerJ

Reaction score
I prefer the term "propaganda." :)

Most of it's utter BS though - from experience, even if the laptop has identical specs to the desktop, it simply doesn't perform as well. I've got a laptop from a buddy here that needs a new copy of XP on it - 2ghz cpu 1gb ram 64mb shared video but who cares since he's not using it for gaming.

The part thats odd? It sure is a 2ghz cpu. But the whole system runs for crap - I put a very simple test program on it that occupies about 45% of my cpu on it but still runs at 30fps (it's an emulator). It maxes his cpu out, drives the termperature to upwards of 50c, and can't run at 30fps.

Now according to your logic, iholla, this shouldn't be happening - besides the video card the whole system beats out or is equal to my desktop!

Now for a REAL stumper: I thought maybe that video card was causing the problem, so I unhooked it from my pc and ran the absolute crap onboard video (8mb integrated, if it's even that big). Sure enough, pc went to 50% minimum, averaging about 60%.

So even with a worse graphics card the pc with a 1.67ghz cpu and 1gb ram with 200mb occupied (other programs were running on this pc, the laptop has only core window files running) was beating the laptop. Something's not right here, and it's all looking like laptops simply can't hold up to a pc.

It could be a difference in the processor itself. Clockspeed isn't all that matters. A Core 2 Duo at 2GHz would kick the crap out of my Pentium D at 2.8GHz (both are dual core).

But, laptop processors can't compete. They are usually specially designed for laptops, costing more and performing less.

zeekgenateer

Reaction score
I see desktops as far superior, they run cooler, better and are far cheaper than any equally speced laptop. Laptops are only useful if you're on the go, and even then you can't do much with a touchpad and small keyboard. The only big that makes me want to get a laptop is having a touchpad for notetaking. Now that is something I can get behind. Alas the cost of these are also astronomical, so I cannot.

mygorillanet

Reaction score

I prefer the term "propaganda." Most of it's utter BS though

Now that, up there, was just plain lame. I was under the impression that here at x10 we counter arguments with intelligent and fact backed reason. All you have under your belts is a desktop pc, which you use for gaming most of the time, a couple of hard disk switches, heat sink replacements and a couple of touches and feels of a friend's or whoever's laptops.

Lets keep this clean..shall we?

I work for a big electronics company and part of my job involves customer support and computer repairs.

Laptops Rock! Desktop PCs Are Soon History. This is a plausible argument. It says 'soon' and not 'already' .

Laptops are indeed becoming very powerful for their size. If for 1200$ I can get;

Duo T7300 2.4Nukes, 3Nukes ram, NGF 8600 GT 1Nuke, 667 FSB, 200 Nukes HDD 7200rpm, 1400x1050res + extras like FM/Tv tuner, Lan 1 Nuke, wi-fi a/b/g, BT 2.0+EDR, Ir, pci express, biometric security, sideshow etc and all this coming in at a size of 13" and 2.2Kg for 3 hrs up-time costing 1200$.

I think for the ability to have all this in such a small size out-weighs owning the same for 600$ but all over my room.

About the upgrades and repairs, I have to agree with iholla here. We do carry out parts upgrades since laptops are released in a series of models. for example, you will find that the aspire 5570 model is compatible with the whole 5570-80, 3370-80 e.t.c range. The differences are usually in the components. The motherboards are the same.

All we do is get the basic board, desolder what we would like to improve and in its place solder a socket for the chip or the chip or pcb directly. It is alot of careful work but now thats the norm for avid laptop owners. They buy a cheaper compatible model of what they want and we just pimp it.

Someone mentioned trouble with heating up. To some extent this is true. It however depends on your model of choice and which components are within. This is also fixable by programming the eeprom and setting the fan speeds. The ventilation system can also be improved by switching the fins. All i know is heating laptops are dirty laptops or fairly old models.

Otherwise Iholla, desktops are still here for a while. Reasons being affordability and upgradability. The art of pimping laptops is still in its junior days.

HomerJ

Reaction score
Duo T7300 2.4Nukes, 3Nukes ram, NGF 8600 GT 1Nuke, 667 FSB, 200 Nukes HDD 7200rpm, 1400x1050res + extras like FM/Tv tuner, Lan 1 Nuke, wi-fi a/b/g, BT 2.0+EDR, Ir, pci express, biometric security, sideshow etc and all this coming in at a size of 13" and 2.2Kg for 3 hrs up-time costing 1200$.

I think for the ability to have all this in such a small size out-weighs owning the same for 600$ but all over my room.

About the upgrades and repairs, I have to agree with iholla here. We do carry out parts upgrades since laptops are released in a series of models. for example, you will find that the aspire 5570 model is compatible with the whole 5570-80, 3370-80 e.t.c range. The differences are usually in the components. The motherboards are the same.

All we do is get the basic board, desolder what we would like to improve and in its place solder a socket for the chip or the chip or pcb directly. It is alot of careful work but now thats the norm for avid laptop owners. They buy a cheaper compatible model of what they want and we just pimp it.

A few things: what is a nuke? It seems to refer to a frequency measured in GHz, a memory capacity measured in GB, a measure of network speed in Gbits, and something to do with a video card. I am not sure what it means.

Desktop size: A desktop sits in a small box called the tower, it doesn't spread all over a room. They are smaller than a tv or CRT monitor usually.

And ease of upgrades is preferable to soldering and desoldering. Plus, installing a new card wont usually violate any warranty.

mygorillanet

Reaction score
what is a nuke?.

A Nuke(from nuclear) is a term in modern computer jargon to mean any measurement in Gigs. You were right, it is used to refer to processor clocks, network carriage speeds, memory capacities...and so on. Its just a 'cooler' way of saying the usual.

cpu 1.8 GHz = 1.8 Nukes
hdd 350 GB = 350 Nukes....get it?

ps: 'all over a room' was a figure of speech. I meant there's a lot more clutter from the desktop, what with the system blocks(full or mini), keyboards, monitors, cables(power cords, current adapters)

With ease of upgrades, I am with you. The point though was, it is possible and is being practiced.

Desktops are still ruling, I agree but inevitably, as with all bulky technology, the trend is maniaturization...an example, hdds will soon be out due to ssds too.

So, I repeat, I am for Desktops but soon, they'll be out too.

HomerJ

Reaction score
A Nuke(from nuclear) is a term in modern computer jargon to mean any measurement in Gigs. You were right, it is used to refer to processor clocks, network carriage speeds, memory capacities...and so on. Its just a 'cooler' way of saying the usual.

cpu 1.8 GHz = 1.8 Nukes
hdd 350 GB = 350 Nukes....get it?

ps: 'all over a room' was a figure of speech. I meant there's a lot more clutter from the desktop, what with the system blocks(full or mini), keyboards, monitors, cables(power cords, current adapters)

With ease of upgrades, I am with you. The point though was, it is possible and is being practiced.

Desktops are still ruling, I agree but inevitably, as with all bulky technology, the trend is maniaturization...an example, hdds will soon be out due to ssds too.

So, I repeat, I am for Desktops but soon, they'll be out too.

Maybe, but a laptop will always be more expensive than an equivalently powerful desktop. When laptops are easily modified (not with soldering) and the size concerns don't make the cost so prohibitive to many people, maybe they will displace desktops.

Last edited:

cityeyes

Reaction score
Now that, up there, was just plain lame. I was under the impression that here at x10 we counter arguments with intelligent and fact backed reason. All you have under your belts is a desktop pc, which you use for gaming most of the time, a couple of hard disk switches, heat sink replacements and a couple of touches and feels of a friend's or whoever's laptops.

Ok.
1) I didn't expand that info because I didn't want to weigh down this discussion with a bunch of counterarguments that had already been discussed. I explained my position through the cheap price of my desktop as opposed to a comparable laptop.
2) I spent 5 years of my life using primarily laptops. As a college student, I sort of needed to. I used it for gaming as well as studying. I think assuming is just as bad of an offense when it comes to any sort of argument and that can't be explained away in the name of brevity.

Don't pretend you're all righteous just because you decide to get all long-winded. I like a fair and balanced argument just as much as the next guy.

Last edited:

Dutch

Reaction score
I am all for laptops. I know, I know...some of you still believe that Desktop pcs are here to stay...I have news for you, nah-uh! Name one thing I get from Desktop PC that I cannot get from laptops and Ill name you 3 I get on laptops that you wish you had on Desktops.

I just feel that Desktops are too big for the teeny weeny functionality they give. Remember the size of the first pcs? Yeah well, thats my line of thought about the same now...amongst other things.

Which are you standing by?

:bsflag:

I wouldn't trade my gaming rig for any notebook in the world!:nuts:

QueenHawkeye

Reaction score
I don't agree. Yeah, Laptops are catching on but they have nothing against laptops.

Most laptops I think that to be functional, are too big to carry around all day. Plus they use up a lot of battery power so I'd be done after a 2hrs or so. I'd rather sit at home at my desktop and play as much as I want with more ram, fast processor, bigger screen and not worry about my laptop being stolen.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Not only can you get a lot more out of a desktop, but desktops are more customizable. You can't get nearly as much stuff inside a laptop as you can a desktop. Like Smith6612 said, laptops have parts that are less functional just for mobility. It's true that laptops are getting more customizable everyday, but the best things will always come out for desktops years before laptops.