LDAP Poll

Do you want the LDAP module to be enabled?

• Total voters

Sohail

Reaction score
I would say yes as it could be very useful for my forums. It doesn't have any disadvantages does it, you could create a form so users would have to request it and only get it if their reason is good enough.

xmakina

Reaction score
Excellent for linking Forums with other site services without a clunky database dealing with it.

Jon.Monreal

Reaction score
Yes, I would like for the LDAP module to be enabled.

As a blogger, I could see a number of possible uses for it as I may be migrating my blog here to x10.

firesteel

Reaction score
No. This is a potentially tremendous resource hog and security risk. Unless x10 has the resources to monitor the various instances and security issues, this is not a good idea for free hosting.

A separate LDAP service website might have possibilities for those interested, knowledgeable and willing to pay for this service.

Bad idea IMHO, otherwise.

CEOZacMoore

Reaction score
Well i would use it for my company, so the staff can lookup contact details for other staff members (at my company, of cause), and other companies we associate with
Edit:
me again with some responses

firesteel: it would be pointless charging for things when they're dedicated

Corey: if you set this up, i would recommend not buying another domain (if you don't have the money), but setting up another cluster of servers dedicated to running LDAP

Last edited:

lewellyn

Reaction score
I'll abstain from voting for now. But I have a question: Is this poll just for the PHP or Apache module, or is x10 considering actually installing LDAP servers? :p

I'd vote No on setting up LDAP servers, and No on any LDAP for free servers (lots of people can't even connect to MySQL properly from their PHP, and they're going to have an option to shoot themselves in the foot THAT badly!?).

However, I really don't see much value in having just the module enabled. Most LDAP servers aren't properly secured and should not be exposed to the general internet. I'd be kind of sad to see x10 encourage such behavior. :(

If people really need LDAP, I don't see why they wouldn't just get a VPS. After all, if you need enterprise-level authentication, you probably need more than x10 offers on standard hosting accounts.

_Pepijn_

Reaction score
I'll abstain from voting for now. But I have a question: Is this poll just for the PHP or Apache module, or is x10 considering actually installing LDAP servers? :p

I'd vote No on setting up LDAP servers, and No on any LDAP for free servers (lots of people can't even connect to MySQL properly from their PHP, and they're going to have an option to shoot themselves in the foot THAT badly!?).

However, I really don't see much value in having just the module enabled. Most LDAP servers aren't properly secured and should not be exposed to the general internet. I'd be kind of sad to see x10 encourage such behavior. :(

If people really need LDAP, I don't see why they wouldn't just get a VPS. After all, if you need enterprise-level authentication, you probably need more than x10 offers on standard hosting accounts.

This threat is about the PHP Apache module. So that you have the ability to connect to an external (non-x10) LDAP server.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I think X10 should enable LDAP. Although, some people may use it for spamming. Right now, I don't have a use for it, but It is a nice feature. I would use it in the future for experimental purposes only.

Last edited:

Soki

Banned
Reaction score

I agree, people who want LDAP shouldn't be here using x10hosting (like sated in quote). I voted no, also because it is unnecessary and
will take up Corey's time implementing this, when he can be doing other useful things with x10hosting. Especially with the stoli server messing up right now...

The poll is rigged right now, because there are over 60 votes and yet only 29 posts that explain their reasons...

Last edited: