Learner with question about domain transfer.

beautyx2

Reaction score
I'm trying to bring together multiple websites that a friend has for her cosmetic business ventures. I am just learning and you can see what I'm making at beauty.x10host.com any constructive feed back would be most welcome ;)
However my next step is to bring all her existing domain names to point to our new x10hosting site here... I don't know where to start... can anyone with some experience point me in the right direction please? :confused:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
"Multiple" would have to mean "three at most" on the x10Hosting Free Hosting system. For a combination of idiot-proofing and catastrophe mitigation,¹ your primary domain name here must be an x10Hosting-provided subdomain (in this case, beauty.x10host.com). That leaves you with one "parked" domain (which is a sort of alias for your primary domain, and will always point to the same place) and two "add-on" domains (which are normally pointed to subdirectories of your primary domain, but they can also be pointed to your primary domain if you prefer).

Since x10Hosting (Free Hosting) is not a domain provider (x10Premium is), you wouldn't so much be transferring your domains as pointing your existing domains to your Free Hosting account. If your existing domain provider can't provide a way to do that for you, you may have to transfer your domain to another domain registrar. (Hosting companies are required, in the US at least, to allow transfer of domains, but not to maintain DNS records for "foreign" domains. That means that they have to allow you to use the domain elsewhere, but they don't have to let you use their servers to point to someone else's servers. Most will, since reputation matters, but smaller "mom and pop" places might take things kinda personal.) All you need to do is to use x10Hosting's nameservers, ns1.x10hosting.com and ns2.x10hosting.com as the nameserver entries for your domain records (there should be a place to enter them on your domain control panel). Once the nameservers have been set on your domain, you can enter the domains as a parked domain or as add-on domains in your Free Hosting cPanel (the instruction here might be of more help).

If you need to use more than three external domains, then Free Hosting isn't going to work for you; you would need to upgrade to a Premium account.
¹ x10Hosting used to allow users to change their primary domain to an externally-sourced domain if they wanted to. Well, people who forgot to renew their domains or to failed to follow the terms of service of their free domain providers would lose all access to their accounts from time to time. And when a once-popular free "domain" provider, co.cc, decided to cease offering free domains (due to continuing abuse, ISP blacklisting and spamhaus listings), the same thing happened to people who were being careful with their service. To prevent that from happening in the future, you are now required to have an x10Hosting-provided subdomain as your primary domain.

angelic7

Reaction score
... Since x10Hosting (Free Hosting) is not a domain provider (x10Premium is), you wouldn't so much be transferring your domains as pointing your existing domains to your Free Hosting account. If your existing domain provider can't provide a way to do that for you, you may have to transfer your domain to another domain registrar. (Hosting companies are required, in the US at least, to allow transfer of domains, but not to maintain DNS records for "foreign" domains.....
Oh, thank you ever so much that is really helpful... meanwhile I have no idea why the site I was creating seems to have disappeared and it won't let me log in on that account either... ultimately I'm just doing it for a friend because she runs a beauty business and doesn't know how to this stuff either.

Attachments

• NoLogin.png
    NoLogin.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 4

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That may be your connection. If you are using a public computer or a public wifi hotspot (or if you're at work, at the library or at school), you may not be able to use port 2083, which you need to connect to your cPanel (control panel). Often, to prevent questionable use, such connections are restricted to the ports absolutely needed for web pages and email only, blocking communication on all other ports. You should be able to connect from home or using a 3G or LTE mobile connection.

angelic7

Reaction score
That may be your connection. If you are using a public computer or a public wifi hotspot (or if you're at work, at the library or at school), you may not be able to use port 2083, which you need to connect to your cPanel (control panel). Often, to prevent questionable use, such connections are restricted to the ports absolutely needed for web pages and email only, blocking communication on all other ports. You should be able to connect from home or using a 3G or LTE mobile connection.
Oh... I'm not sure... the whole website is gone as well as my login as "beautyx2"... nothing in my e-mail but the posts were flagged as spam and Facebook says these forums are "unsafe"... I'm just using it on my home computer, a desktop that has wired broadband.

Attachments

• ForumSpammed.png
    ForumSpammed.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 4
  • FacebookUnsafe.png
    FacebookUnsafe.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 4
  • censored.png
    censored.png
    26 KB · Views: 4

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The spam/unsafe things are because x10hosting used to allow users to have whatever.x10hosting.com as their account subdomains. One of the big problems with a free hosting service is that it's free. For you, that may be a good thing, but it's also free for anybody who wants to use the service to do nasty things (sending spam or phishing messages, using fake pages to grab usernames and passwords, set up phony "link farms" to try to raise search engine rankings, distribute malware/viruses or illegal files, and so on and so on). Since there is no cost to set up, and the only "ID" you need is an email address, bad folks will try to set nasty things up, and they can do a lot of damage in the few minutes or hours it takes to shut them down. That leads to domains being blocked and blacklisted. Although x10Hosting hasn't allowed users to use an x10hostimg.com subdomain in quite a while, it has been unable to talk Facebook into removing the "unsafe" classification. (The spam label you can fix yourself by clicking "not spam" in Gmail.)

If your account is brand-new, it may be on the new xo5 server, which seems to be undergoing some maintenance at the moment (several other users had reported problems earlier that really needed to be fixed). So you should be able to get to your site at the very least before too long. It's not censored or anything, it's just what the error says: the site is currently unavailable because the server is down. That may have been the earlier connection problem as well, it's just that with cPanel it's more often than not that the user who is having the problem is working somewhere where port 2083 is blocked. If the problem isn't resolved in the next couple of hours or so, please post something in the "Free Hosting" forum, which is the support area. Someone with a better idea of what's going on with the server should be able to get back to you (I'm mostly a user advocate and code helper-outer; I don't have server-level access).

beautyx2

Reaction score
The spam/unsafe things are because x10hosting used to allow users to have whatever.x10hosting.com as their account subdomains....
Thankyou essellar... that was very helpful indeed. I was on the xo5 server and now everything seems to be back again :)
... so I shall proceed finding out about changing the registered domain hosts and bring Stephanie's cosmetic enterprises together.