Learning ASP.NET, and Mono

omniuni

Reaction score
So, first of all, it was quite a relief to find that x10 is indeed using Linux servers. A free host using Linux, I can understand, but a free host using Windows? Between licensing, and how many people you'd have to cram on a server to make it cost effective, and the inherent instability of said O.S. I figured such a system would have more down-time than uptime!

Anyway, sine x10 obviously supports ASP.NET at least up to version 2.0 through Mono, I had a few questions.

You see, the reason I came in the first place is that out of necessity I feel that I should begin learning some ASP.NET. Mind you, I am an open-source loyalist. I just have enough of a business mind that I feel like being masochistic and trying to learn the darn stuff. Of course, being a Linux user, I was out of ideas on a way to learn .NET on my own machine. Enter Mono. I was unsure of how to use this with Apache, and so I decided to be lazy and search for free ASP hosts. Enter x10.

I like CMS based websites, and I will take, as my first project, cloning my very first PHP CMS on x10 using .NET. It supported logging in, and editing text, automatically removing any HTML tags. Easy as pie in PHP. I'll probably go insane trying to do this in .NET, but whatever.

Now the question! Are there any "gotcha"s that I should be aware of with trying to learn ASP.NET on a Mono environment? I plan to follow either w3schools or Tizag's tutorials on the language.

Thank you all for your responses.
-OmniUni