learning languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctadmin

Reaction score
What scripting languages do you know, and about how long did it take to learn each?

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
What scripting languages do you know, and about how long did it take to learn each?

For me, PHP and C#. C# I learned the basics of thanks to RunUO (server emu for Ultima Online), added a year and a half of college courses to widen the basics a bit more. Wouldn't say I know it in the sense that just cause I know the syntax doesn't mean I know everything you can do with it, but I know Google helps loads with finding out how to do new things :)

PHP on the other hand, self taught via php.net and lots of trial and error. Always learn HTML before PHP though - can't have PHP generate a good web page if you don't know the HTML to do it :)

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
HTML takes only a week to get the hang of it or less..but to really kno everything should be less then a month.
you can learn it from
http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
really simple, and lays out the basics

for PHP it is a little bit harder..I suggest to go get a book form your local library or find a used one, and keep it as reference..I still use mine.

CSS is also another good thing to learn..goes hand in hand with HTML, rather than continually writing the same thing over and over again for the same style..learn HTML before you go to css

Rhiever

Reaction score
Learning ActionScript is good if you ever want to make a Flash website or Flash component for your website. I picked up most of it within a couple days, but that's just because I've already learned Java in the past. (They're both Object-Oriented languages.)

Here is a good website with free video tutorials that explained how to do some basic ActionScript code in Flash. The website has forums with other good examples to look at as well.

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/

coolv1994

Reaction score
i know html and php lol
html was quick for me since i used dreamweaver and im still working on php

Status
Not open for further replies.