Legal Problems with Review Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmund81

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of setting up a Review Site which is going to be called Review Miner (www.reviewminer.co.cc) but are there any legal things I have to take care of because there will occasionally be bad reviews and the companies names will be trademarks. All reviews will have a reason and will all be my opinions, other than the odd guest review which I will check. I will also put this (http://www.reviewminer.co.cc/Review_Miner/Site_Information_Frame.html) information in a frame somewhere on the website.
Any Help Would be Great, Thanks
P.S. It will be written in the UK

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
I don't think theres much in the terms of legal things
You should be-able to use a company's name or product as long as it doesn't look like they endorse or sponsor you, its not Defamatory(a factual, negative, critical review usually isn't. a "this company sucks" can be) in any way, and you don't use a logo or image without permission.

-IANAL so don't sue me if a company sues you.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Look up "Fair Use" online - I'm not a lawyer either, but Fair Use is how Wikipedia can have images/logos posted without getting sued :)

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Also, if you are going to use a company's logo, do not link the image from their site.

edmund81

Reaction score
So, about the fair use for criticism, basically if I give a reason why (e.g. 'I think x is bad, because it is really hard to do y') it is ok. It just has to be grounded not random saying bad things to get somethings reputation to suffer?

Also I wasn't thinking of using logos, just the names because I can't see anywhere to fit the logo in on the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.