Limit Vistors Question

slowmassacrelabz24

Reaction score
I'm posting this under "suggestions" as I'm pretty sure this is isn't possible on X10 currently...
Q: Is there a way to limit vistors to a site?

For instance, say I only wanted 10 people to view my site at the same time. If user 11 tried to view my site while those 10 people were still viewing my site, they'd get bumped to a "lobby" where they would be assigned a "waiting number" and have to wait until one of the 10 users left my site.

I've never seen this done before, but it's a great approach to free sites as it could really free up the bandwidth AND keep a site running smoothly. Most free users don't expect THAT much traffic at the same time, so I seriously doubt anyone would have a problem with it.

In addition, having a "lobby" waiting screen allows you, the host, to do some pretty neat things like have advertisements and (what I call) electronic circulars (neat electronic mini-catalogs like the ones you get in the Sunday paper). You know, something to read while you're waiting.

I don't like the idea of having advertisements on my free site (which is one of the reasons I chose X10), but advertising on a "waiting" screen...that I don't really care about.

Just a thought...want to keep free sites going, and want to see more of them...

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
You haven't seen this for a very good reason: this sounds largely similar to a forced splash page, only worse. The fact is, a user won't sit and wait for their 'turn' to arrive, they will just hit the back button and forget about it. Shoving a load of advertising on that wait screen will also frustrate your users, as it will appear that you are just trying to force them to click on one. The only places you will ever see anything like this implemented is when there is expected to be a huge rush of people at one particular time, such as when tickets go on sale.
Additionally, unless your site has a huge number of plugins or slow scripts, the difference between 10 people using it and 11 people is completely insignificant. It's only when you get to the magnitudes of ten (i.e 10 users vs 100 users) that you'll begin to see issues. For the vast majority of issues on free hosting, it is usually abuse of the services with things like proxies that really drag the server down, hence why they are banned.
Therefore, rather then implement this and send away all your potential users, the more suitable solution is just to optimise your site as best as possible.