Linking External Stylesheet in table cell

emailtoarpit

Reaction score
Hi,

I have two web pages each with their external stylesheet. I want one to be shown up inside other. I have used tables for the layout. In the lower half of the page I want the second page to appear. Now since I want the other page to appear in the page. I have placed all its contents in the a table cell on the first page. However I want that table cell to inherit the styles defined in the stylesheet for the second page.

Is it possible to get your second external stylesheet to link to a particular cell and not the entire page which would be using its own stylesheet.

I have attached a JPEG IMAGE for your reference.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Page.jpg
    Page.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 64

brigham

Reaction score
It sounds like you are using an iframe within the table cell. If you are using an iframe, you can simply link Childpage.html to Childpage.css in the standard way. IFrames are, iirc, treated as unique pages.

This sounds like it's being overcomplicated. What are you trying to accomplish with the child page? Does it simply supply content or are you trying to show a page from a different website within the parent? I think we can find a more simple, elegant solution. Can you give us a better understanding of the purpose of the child page?

Last edited:

emailtoarpit

Reaction score
Well I am not using iframes within the table cell nor I am trying to show someone else's page in that place. Actually I am trying to insert a free coverflow script (one you find in iphone) into the empty area. To this, I have designed a page. The page has a css file and cover flow javascript attached to the page.

The parent page already has its own scripts and stylesheet. The parent page is laid out using tables. Now as i pointed out that I would like to link a table cell to the stylesheet and javascript of the child page. Is that possible .

I want to avoid using frames or iframes. Any suggestion. I hope I am clear...............

freecrm

Reaction score
Very clear, but as far as I am aware, it is not possible to link a stylesheet to a particular area of the body.

The only way to do this would be to specify... hmm.. let me think about this and I'll come back to you..

EDIT

Nope didn't work

I tried forcing a rel link within a div style definition. I also tried an include()/virtual include method, but the parent page takes superioirity.

Can I ask a daft question?

You can put two rel stylesheet links into your header on the parent page. Obviously one will over-write the other if there are similarities..

But what if the definitions are different? (except of course standard tags like body/html/p etc...)

So you could define your child page with alternative definitions - such as .p1 for <p> and such like.

This way, there would be no conflict and you can have two active referencing stylesheets.

If this project is relating to mobile technology, are you aware of the media type css definitions?

Last edited:

waxdoc

Reaction score
There are many HTML/CSS reference books and online tutorials that might help you get started.

"INHERIT": a child inherits from parent (e.g., containing <DIV>).

CSS = Cascading Style Sheets ... CSS style rules can be (1) external linked, (2) embedded, (3) inline attributes of tag. Embedded styles supersede linked styles, styles listed after others on page supersede those listed before ... the "cascading effect" of CSS.

You can define multiple style rules in one CSS file that apply to different segments of page (e.g., DIVs, table cells, etc,). A style CLASS that appears several times on page starts with a period/dot . while a unique ID starts with a hash mark # and should only appear once.

<TABLES> should be avoided for layot purposes.

As noted earlier, <iframe> is an inline element that can contain separate page content.

freecrm

Reaction score
There are many HTML/CSS reference books and online tutorials that might help you get started.

"INHERIT": a child inherits from parent (e.g., containing <DIV>).

CSS = Cascading Style Sheets ... CSS style rules can be (1) external linked, (2) embedded, (3) inline attributes of tag. Embedded styles supersede linked styles, styles listed after others on page supersede those listed before ... the "cascading effect" of CSS.

You can define multiple style rules in one CSS file that apply to different segments of page (e.g., DIVs, table cells, etc,). A style CLASS that appears several times on page starts with a period/dot . while a unique ID starts with a hash mark # and should only appear once.

<TABLES> should be avoided for layot purposes.

As noted earlier, <iframe> is an inline element that can contain separate page content.

By the look of it, he already understands this and this wasn't the question. Your explanation is a fairly simple explantion of css definitions. He is also trying to avoid using iframes.

I do agree that tables should be avoided!

emailtoarpit

Reaction score
Well it is actually possible to link css to a particular table cell however individual cells in itself do not support CSS well enough so for now I will stick to iframes however I am stuck up with another project and when I take this up (very soon) I will post again on how I was able to get through this.

Thanks for your help guys.
Edit:
Just dont unsubscribe from this post now.

thnks again.

Last edited: