Linking to both Terms of Serivce/Acceptable Use Policy; or is this fine as it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmmsagh

Reaction score
Okay, I've got a question in regards to the two pages I just saw on the main x10Hosting pages: the Terms of Service and the Acceptable Use Policy.

Here's the case: for the rules for the forums part of my site, I noticed that said page linking to x10Hosting's Terms of Service has been moved to the new URL. When noticing that, I saw a link to the "Acceptable Use Policy" as well.

My question is this because I know for sure I need to update the "Board Rules" page of the forums part of my site accordingly - I know that linking to the Terms of Service would be a given, but would it be necessary to link to the Acceptable Use Policy as well, or would just linking to the Terms of Service itself be enough in my case.

Overall, it's just also making sure that my visitors know that they have the responsibility to help my site comply with the Terms of Service and the Acceptable Use Policy implemented on this hosting service. All right; thanks in advance for your responses on this case.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The AUP link wouldn't hurt, since it covers some things (like hate speech, incitement to violence, etc.) that aren't explicitly covered in the ToS. That will give you the opportunity to set "be nice" rules without having them seem like some sort of arbitrary censorship (or whatever the antisocial 4chan types are calling good manners these days). And anything you can do to keep the trolling down will be a good thing for your community in the long run — it's even possible to have civilized but deep disagreements without the discussions having to obey Godwin's Law.

mcmmsagh

Reaction score
All right, that's good news to hear. However, I've got one more question.

Another part of the rules/guidelines document for the forums part of my site says that if certain users are found to be committing severe actions on the site (heaven forbid) that I do reserve the right to contact you folks regarding said matter (possible via abuse report); is this really true or do I need to reword that? I just want to make sure that folks know that should they ever attempt to do anything that might require the server admins to take action against said users, I have their "information" (like email addresses, IP addresses, etc.) since I, of course, am the forum administrator there.

Granted, I would be taking action as well on my end which would include (but not limited to) placing the permanent ban on the offending account(s) in question, as well as possibly handing out IP bans to assure said offenders stay off my site.

All right; thanks again.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
IMO...
as for x10hosting doing your Webmaster work for you - I do not think they would or should
as for Email address - anyone can get a one-time Email address - good for about 5 minutes - you will see a lot of that
as for IPs - what with proxies' - and things like Tor - and spoofing - you can forget about using 'a' IP to block 'a' offending account

using CloudFlare with your account would help you to control the bad guys

mcmmsagh

Reaction score
Oh, I do know that X10Hosting would not do the majority of the work, of course. The drill is that obviously that since I'm the maintainer of my site under X10Hosting, I'm required to take action first in terms of making sure my site (especially the forums) is within the TOS/AUP (hence the rules that I put on the forums along with linking to the TOS/AUP for X10Hosting). It's just my trying to figure out if the need arises that I will be able to contact the server staff if I suspect and/or that anyone has committed serious abuse on my site (hacking, etc.) in which the actions that I take (which I'd do first, of course) aren't enough to counter the problem. Granted that chances are rare that it would happen on my site, but I would rather stay on guard regarding my site to make sure it's within the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.