linking to files

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallmom

Reaction score
So I'm uploading all my files to the public_html folder (index.html file, images folder, css folder, etc). When I go to the index.html file, none of my files are found. I'm assuming the path is wrong, but can't figure out how to fix it. It opens fine in dreamweaver locally.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The file system on Unix-type operating systems is case-sensitive; Windows isn't. Nine time out of ten, that's the problem. Get into the habit of keeping your file names to all lower-case with no special characters (other than underscores and hyphens) and no spaces, and you'll (almost) never run into problems.

smallmom

Reaction score
Thanks. Everything is working now. After 10 minutes, half of the files and images, etc were popping up on the site. Now everything is working. I guess it takes time for everything to get up to speed on this site. Thanks though!

smallmom

Reaction score
It appears after I update (upload new files), a few things (like images) on the site goes offline. Is there a reason this is happening?

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
Is there a reason this is happening?
x10hosting recently implemented a different web-server-software setup on their free-hosting servers - which is a combination of the Apache web server and the Varnish cache server
the cache server maybe why there is a delay before you 'see' the file(s) - after you upload it - or see a new 'post'
the caching time (delay) S/B about 5 seconds for dynamic content and about 5 minutes for static content - there are posts in this forum about it being longer

staff has said - to override [ Varnish cache ] try adding the following line to your [ .htaccess ] file in folder [ public_html ]
Code:
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, private, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"

Status
Not open for further replies.