linking to my guestbook from another website

Status
Not open for further replies.

wild bill

Reaction score
Hello --

I am making a backup website and for some reason this hosting service does not have a guestbook I can install. would it be ok to link from my backup site to my x10 guestbook app here?..

--Bill

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes, I don't see any problem with that, as long as you aren't trying to use MySQL on X10 from another host, which I don't think you are.

You can install any software you want, if you get the name of a guestbook you like, I'm sure we can walk you through installing it on X10.

gomarc

Reaction score
Hello --

I am making a backup website and for some reason this hosting service does not have a guestbook I can install. would it be ok to link from my backup site to my x10 guestbook app here?..

--Bill

Yes, but wouldn’t that defeat (at least in part) the whole purpose of a backup site?

dito7967

Reaction score
You cannot access mysql for your website *outside* of x10 hosting. Its simply not allowed and can be classified by some as "leeching". If you actually read the Terms Of Service and Acceptable Use Policy on signup you should know that. Of course though nobody really reads it. :tongue: (Can't really blame you though, we need a human readable version like creative commons does (yes there is alot of legal copy you can read for technical terms))

You can however run your website + mysql on one host and run an Identical copy here and sync up the copys every couple days.

Last edited:

wild bill

Reaction score
Well at this point I am just setting it up it has a cpanel and lots of stuff so I was just going to play with it. I just couldn't get a guestbook for that site. in the cpanel so I thought maybe I could just link to the guestbook on my x10 hosting acct. it wouldn't really do any good for a backup as you say if stoli is down so is my guestbook but I was just messing around and found this other free hosting service with cpanel. more toys.. :) just wanted to check before I created a link from this other website to my x10 site guestbook.

so yeah I guess that would be using the sql database since the guestbook runs on that and I link to it from another source. so you still think its ok to do this because in a way I would be using the guestbook on x10 when someone clicks the link on the other site.

I tried to just download it and copy it to the other server but it didn't work.. guess some file permissions got messed up. I read on the net that this was free software so I thought It might be a easy way to xfer the data over to the new site.

--Bill

Last edited:

dito7967

Reaction score
;)

You can run the script (entire guestbook script) on x10s server and use the mysql database but *ONLY* if you are running the entire guestbook script here. Also, do you mind me asking what host you are referring to? (I like experimenting and need a backup host as my other backup host is down)

(You also have to remember to put an index file forwarding to the guestbook script, x10 suspends for NO INDEX as a reason :p)

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
A link is fine. You can link (as long as it's not a TOS violation) anything on your X10 site. You could even advertise for another host if you wanted for all it matters. But, we'd all know you're lying if you said they were better than X10 :biggrin:
Edit:
Also, do you mind me asking what host you are referring to?

Please do this privately. It's not good to discuss other hosts here. :)

Last edited:

wild bill

Reaction score
Well I just did it the easy way and just found one of those free online guestbooks. so it will do the job. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.