Linux : Do you like it or hate it?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tittat

Reaction score
i love linux.Its flexible.
And i enjoy the freedom of modifying and redistribution.

soporteweb

Reaction score
when i star using linux a fell hard . but after 1 week and read a lot is 100% most beter than windows ,

eagles051387

Reaction score
i love it its so much better than windows. i use kubuntu 64bit and that thing is smoking. it would be nice to get it on this new laptop but the hardware is way to new. my old laptop has 1gb of ram and im able to do so muhc multitasking with it.

gottaloveit

Reaction score
I like linux for older machines that I don't have to rely on. Not to say that LInux isn't 100% reliable, I just havn't used it enough to put all my faith in it.

However I absolutely love the fact that Linux breathes new life into older computers. I installed it on an old mac, that previously had mac os 9, and now it runs MUCH faster, and is able to actually run current software and browse the internet just like my other machines. Now, when I see someone throwing out an old computer, I rescue it, install linux, and either use it or give it away to someone who needs it. I recently built an internet terminal in my kitchen using an old computer (which i hid in a closet, running the wires through the wall) hooked up to a wall mounted LCD. Everyone that comes to my house thinks it's so cool, and are amazed that it was basicly free.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
im currently using linux cuz my other pc has a busted heatsink and i cant really say that im happy about linux cuz i cant use my webcam, i cant see my complete screen like i would with windows and i cant really run any exe files on it

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
im currently using linux cuz my other pc has a busted heatsink and i cant really say that im happy about linux cuz i cant use my webcam, i cant see my complete screen like i would with windows and i cant really run any exe files on it

They have software out there that will allow you to run Windows EXE files. Look around you Linux Distro's help pages a bit. A good one to use is WINE. It's not the best out there, but it performs good.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Reaction score

Lots of webcams work in linux, you should check if yours is supported (in your distros documentation somewhere). Unless its brand new or very rare, it should work.

And of course you can't run .exe files (except through an emulator or Wine). Those are DOS and Windows executables. On linux, software is usually installed through a package manager. Check out some of the Linux equivalents to Windows software, you'll be surprised. Here is a fairly nice list.

Linux can be confusing at first, but if you stick with it, I am sure you will love it.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Sourceforge is a great place to find stuff for Linux as well.

wolf693

Reaction score
Linux is great! It's powerful and you can do a lot with it! For newer users, it's a bit tough to learn but if you get familiar with the commands, you can accomplish things in no time! And like zapperpost, Ubuntu's my favorite!

sathyabhat

Reaction score
Me too love linux. been using it over 7 years now, started out with SuSE 6.3, and now using openSUSE 10.3. Cant wait for openSUSE 11 release :)

Xemnas

Reaction score
Although I have little experience with Linux, I definitely like it. It's fast, pretty (though by no full means laid out logically), and easy to get up and running. It's also lean in the way of virii due to the total lack of support for the platform, not to mention the number of distributions out there. So yes, I like Linux :)

afroxav

Reaction score
Linux is nice, because it's free, an Open-Source Operating System (an OSOS), and there is, just to name few, a lot of different distributions of linux. However, I still use Windows since near 95% of the programs I use are only Windows Compatible...

anirtak143

Reaction score
linux rules. if it gets way more popularity than now, then it would be supported by many, then you know what happens next. ... ^^

Nathan H

Reaction score
Honestly, I think it depends on the situation. For home use i completely despise it, no good competition for windows based programs, nothing even remotely resembling .NET capabilities. But for server use, you just can't beat the reliability. A normal computer doesnt need to be stable for days on end, so the occassional crash is OK, and a home PC needs to feel like just that, a Home PC, not a ServerOS thats just been retasked

hamsn

Reaction score
ya i hav both windows and fedora installed
if this fails to work , that wil help for sure, nothing is perfect

Status
Not open for further replies.