Linux VPS Web Hosting: It Is Fast, Cheap, and Easy

Chetanalpha

Reaction score
When you try to get your website hosted through a service provider, the first question they will usually ask you is about the platform on which you wish your website to be hosted. There are several platforms at your disposal here, but the best option for you would be Linux. Here are the reasons why you should choose Linux VPS web hosting over others:

Stable operating system with solid performance

Linux based web servers can provide superior performance while consuming lesser resources than most other platforms out there. Besides, Linux does not crash easily, and is naturally resistant to corruption.

Few viruses/worms

You will find some worms that can temporarily infect a Linux server, but those are usually gone as soon as the server is rebooted.

Easy to maintain

Lesser maintenance requirement automatically translates to greater uptime for your website as well.

Cheaper hosting

You may have to spend less than half of what you would have to pay to get your website hosted on Windows platform

Sherin Thomas

Reaction score
I fully agree with your explanation Linux VPS hosting is best and affordable hosting solution.

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
At x10VPS the only option are linux or other unix-based distros, such as FreeBSD :)

To address a few of your points however:

Stable operating system with solid performance: Make sure to select an operating system that gives long term support (often abbreviated LTS), otherwise you may find yourself having to upgrade OS versions every couple months to a year in order to still receive updates to installed programs.

Few viruses/worms: Simply false, please do not spread lies. While there are indeed fewer viruses that target linux than there are that target windows, they are just as sophisticated and will survive across reboots. In order to combat viruses, you should make sure that you always keep your software updated with the latest security updates and you can't go wrong installing an antivirus program such as ClamAV (free). Configuring your firewall properly (iptables in linux, pf in bsd) and not running any programs/commands as root unless you absolutely need to greatly helps with combating viruses as well.

Easy to maintain: You will need to log in periodically to update your packages to their latest version in order to receive critical security updates and such. See also the note above about how long your OS is being supported for -- if the version you have is end of life (EOL), it is time to upgrade OS versions so you can continue receiving updates. Also, you will either need familiarity with SSH and linux command line commands in order to maintain a linux server, or you can install a GUI desktop such as GNOME or KDE and use VNC in order to access it remotely to manage your server (I recommend the former if you are able as GUIs tend to drain a lot of resources).

Cheaper hosting: While true, be aware of the difference between an unmanaged VPS and a managed VPS. An unmanaged VPS (such as all of the VPSes that are sold via x10VPS) only includes basic support (where support staff will only help you if there are instances where the x10hosting service is at fault, or if you are unable to access your VPS). A managed VPS means that you can open a support ticket and support staff will perform the request (such as installing or configuring software packages). Note that managed VPSes are typically far more expensive than unmanaged. You do save on the windows server licensing costs though either way if you are running linux :)

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Easy to maintain

Lesser maintenance requirement automatically translates to greater uptime for your website as well.

I will not agree that linux server requires less maintenance, at least not in my case. I only choose linux because I don't need to pay licensing cost and I frequently exploit
Code:
system('service process status');
in my C programs. I don't know how to do that on windows. I had several C programs which automatically maintain sever for me. Before that it was much easier to maintain my website on windows server than linux.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Once configured there isn't really much maintenance required at all on any platform besides updates. Even with Active Directory and Exchange Server installed.

More importantly, however, is why this thread suddenly opened after a year (between #1 and #2)!