Linux vs. Mac

gamerdude

Reaction score
I personally own computers running Windows, Linux, and Mac but I mainly prefer my Mac over Linux. I think there are more and easier to install apps for Mac and it is overall a better GUI. Lets try to stick to major releases of Linux.

HomerJ

Reaction score
I like Linux.

IMO, the GUIs that run on Linux are better than Mac's GUI. I also like the fact that you can use X11 with a huge number of different WMs and DEs, all giving a drastically different experience but allowing the use of the same applications.

Mac OS has more software available, but it's just bloated commercial software for the most part. I prefer minimalistic software: something that does one thing and does it well. Commercial software tends to do a bunch of things poorly. Of course, there are plenty exceptions.

hopper

Reaction score
i beg to differ
mac os X is based on a bsd kernel and has a BASH and SH shell available, along with the fact that the 'developer tools' for the recent macos X versions is merely a port of the GNU compiler collections, add 'fink' and you can install a lot of unix software in a similar manner to debian's apt-get (in fact apt-get for macos X comes with fink), if you know how there is verry little that linux can do that macos X cant do. including compile, and run X11 applications and window managers etc.. etc... trust me, i've done it, however i still prefer linux because its free, but then again so is the 'darwin' kernel for macos x, just not the mac os X 'aqua' gui environment and its proprietary API

Last edited:

HomerJ

Reaction score
i beg to differ
mac os X is based on a bsd kernel and has a BASH and SH shell available, along with the fact that the 'developer tools' for the recent macos X versions is merely a port of the GNU compiler collections, add 'fink' and you can install a lot of unix software in a similar manner to debian's apt-get (in fact apt-get for macos X comes with fink), if you know how there is verry little that linux can do that macos X cant do. including compile, and run X11 applications and window managers etc.. etc... trust me, i've done it, however i still prefer linux because its free, but then again so is the 'darwin' kernel for macos x, just not the mac os X 'aqua' gui environment and its proprietary API

Yes, I know that Mac is a Unix-like OS, and thus all open source Unix software can easily be ported to it. So, I suppose I could use all of my favourite open-source software on Mac OS, but I imagine it would not be as easy as it is on Linux to install and use. Plus, I don't want to pay for expensive Mac hardware and software, just to run software that could have easily run on a cheaper system.

Also, Mac isn't minimalistic like I prefer. With Gentoo Linux (my favourite distro) I have chosen nearly every piece of software on the system. After installation, all that is installed is bash, python, some basic libraries, the base software (Unix tools, portage package manager, gcc, etc.), and the Linux kernel. I also have total control over what services and such are running in the background. Mac simply doesn't offer this level of control.

Not to say that Mac is bad, but Linux is just my preference. It's cheaper, more minimalistic, and gives more control.

Scott B

Reaction score
I would try a mac, but the price is just too high.
I've been wanting to install Linux, but my stupid dial-up modem is preventing me

gamerdude

Reaction score
I must agree if you have packages designed for your release of Linux, they are easy to install. I personally prefer the more advanced 3d design and programming software for Mac over the open source software for Linux. I also must agree with the price point, unless you have a true need for a Mac, they are pricey.

hopper

Reaction score
no argument there, tho compiling software is compiling software regardless of whether is on a linux bash shell or a macos bash shell however mac can with time and effort do almost everything linux can do plus has the advantage of being able to run mac proprietary software, but i would agree that unless you need the mac proprietary software for some reason it isn't worth the investment of money over buying a computer without an os and installing linux.
Yes, I know that Mac is a Unix-like OS, and thus all open source Unix software can easily be ported to it. So, I suppose I could use all of my favourite open-source software on Mac OS, but I imagine it would not be as easy as it is on Linux to install and use. Plus, I don't want to pay for expensive Mac hardware and software, just to run software that could have easily run on a cheaper system.

Also, Mac isn't minimalistic like I prefer. With Gentoo Linux (my favourite distro) I have chosen nearly every piece of software on the system. After installation, all that is installed is bash, python, some basic libraries, the base software (Unix tools, portage package manager, gcc, etc.), and the Linux kernel. I also have total control over what services and such are running in the background. Mac simply doesn't offer this level of control.

Not to say that Mac is bad, but Linux is just my preference. It's cheaper, more minimalistic, and gives more control.

Last edited:

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Linux is good for security and development of linux application, for Mac it is friendly usage, but expensive on software, because their software already defined the installation script which allow you to install seamlessly without user intervention... Therefore... I will say Linux is much more better because you are able to learn how to script and install application much more better... because open source is always tested and feedback is commonly given to improve them... Therefore they are some how safer than any of the operating system.

One such of a good linux system will be Ubuntu...

lch-x10hosting

Reaction score
I mainly prefer my Mac over Linux. I think there are more and easier to install apps for Mac
Less. I think you meant to say "less apps for Mac". Otherwise it wouldn't be true. Macports and Darwinports increase the amount of software by a great margin by getting some of the rich fundus of Linux software over to the Mac, though.

I've been wanting to install Linux, but my stupid dial-up modem is preventing me
You can ask the Ubuntu people to send you installation CDs via snail mail. They do this totally free of cost.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Well,

I've never used a Mac for periods of time over a couple of hours at a time, but quite frankly I hate the things. I don't like the menu system, the way the top menu bar changes its options depending on the currently active window. It just seems dumb and illogical to me.

Second, Apple only release Mac OS X (OFFICIALLY!) for their own hardware. The only reason for this is they know their OS isn't good enough to make them the cash, they can't make it without hardware sales.

Third, Linux is open source, and therefore easier to develop for (I write Python applications and am starting to learn C languages).

Fourth, Linux distributions are incredibly easy to customise. You can make it look and work just the way you want with no effort, it's brilliant.

I may sound like a fan boy, but I honestly do prefer Linux over OS X, it's just better suited to me.

-Luke.

philippe_michael

Reaction score
Woah! Even though I agree Mac's Interface has a high learning curve, and is not my personal favorite, I think you are mis-informed.

Well,
Apple only release Mac OS X (OFFICIALLY!) for their own hardware. The only reason for this is they know their OS isn't good enough to make them the cash, they can't make it without hardware sales.

Mac OS is one of the best out there, it is a fact and not a mere opinion. Most professionals rely on serious OSes like mac or main distributions of linux. The reason apple only releases MacOS for it's hardware is compatibility with hardware, optimized drivers and obviously to control the hardware running mac (and maybe for the money a bit ;)). Apple has been creating killer machines for quite a while now and most companies buying macs know this. They expect a package that will work out of the box and which is optimized in every point. Macs are totally stable because the whole design is created by the same people (exept for CPU now). Designing your own computer is great, but programming an OS for that EXACT machine is way better!

Third, Linux is open source, and therefore easier to develop for (I write Python applications and am starting to learn C languages).

Wrong, you can install python and C on mac... It wont change a small thing.

Fourth, Linux distributions are incredibly easy to customise. You can make it look and work just the way you want with no effort, it's brilliant.

I didn't personally find so. They are A LOT more customizable. Waaay more than a mac, but it ain't easy at all. It's quite some work, though very satisying.

After this said. I wouldn't say macOS is better than Linux overall. It depends on what you intend to do. I for myself produce music, and my trip to linux was the worst choice for my studio. I lost a total of 2 years where all I did was something like: repair, recompile, try to make it work, can't start computer, fight with versions of QT, want to throw my ******* computer out the winodw, work a bit, realize everything I need ain't working, can't get Jack to work, audio drivers don't cut it, computer stalls on screen saver, loose my work, try to find nice synths, try to get VSTs working... hehe. I did survive :biggrin:, but all I did was take care of my machine and fight to make stuff work. That is not very productive.

With a Mac, your stuck with the unfriendly interface, but I've got my DAW (digital audio workstation) that works. It simply works and will forever (well kind of :). It is way more powerful and has way more features then every linux software I've tried, plus everything is nicely documented and help is abundant. I've got more options for effects and more (almost all) audio software is compatible and works out of the box, so i can start working as soon as it's installed.

What I'm trying to say is MacOS were intended for audio and video professionals (by that I mean people who make money out of) and linux was a server and programmer tool. I love open-source and I try to use it as much as I can, but sometimes it just doesn't cut it when you need advanced software. I think both OSes serve differente purposes.