Linux VS Windows

winlux

Reaction score
Linux is basically for people who mostly want more security, more open source freedom and those that does not like windows os system because too many things to understand....

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble but I think that either the above was a typo or a very big miss conception. What is there to understand about windows? Absolutely nothing because everything is given on a silver plate. Linux on the other hand can become quite bothersome and not as relaxing as on your post. The only time windows start getting a little more complicated is when you get the server versions, and it's not like we use that for a general home computer.

mrmime

Reaction score
well... I prefer linux, first of all, unix is safer than DOS, second, unix has more commands than DOS, third, linux is an excellent server or wokstation, fourth, im on favor of every linux except UBUNTU fifth, i dont game, i web develop so ii use linux (debian)

cdkilken

Reaction score
I prefer to use Linux myself, but there are some tasks that I have to keep going back to Windows to complete. I'm a developer, and though I'm increasingly developing in Java, the majority of the software I've written has been on .Net framework which is Windows.

I've heard you can use Mono for .Net development in Linux, but I haven't yet tried it out: when someone's breathing down your neck for code, you go with tried and true over need to test.

Linux, for me, really has strength in the resource usage. This is not a problem for most people (especially if you think it's normal to have to reboot frequently), but if you're skirting the edge with your system memory, you really don't have much room for tolerance. I've run full fledged distros of Linux on systems with only 256MB RAM without noticing much drag, but trying the same with an unhacked XP tends not to work so well.

Of course, if you're a serious gamer you'll have to use Windows eventually. By virtue of having most of the market, most major titles are coded for Windows and sometimes ported for Mac. True, you can use WINE to run *some* of the games, if you know how to configure it, but if your game doesn't run in WINE, then you need Windows.

My solution for gaming is to run a virtualized Win XP Pro from within Linux. Coincidentally, that's the way I do my home development in .Net, too.

Last edited:

Mafuzzer

Reaction score
I prefer to use Linux myself, but there are some tasks that I have to keep going back to Windows to complete. I'm a developer, and though I'm increasingly developing in Java, the majority of the software I've written has been on .Net framework which is Windows.

I've heard you can use Mono for .Net development in Linux, but I haven't yet tried it out: when someone's breathing down your neck for code, you go with tried and true over need to test.

Linux, for me, really has strength in the resource usage. This is not a problem for most people (especially if you think it's normal to have to reboot frequently), but if you're skirting the edge with your system memory, you really don't have much room for tolerance. I've run full fledged distros of Linux on systems with only 256MB RAM without noticing much drag, but trying the same with an unhacked XP tends not to work so well.

Of course, if you're a serious gamer you'll have to use Windows eventually. By virtue of having most of the market, most major titles are coded for Windows and sometimes ported for Mac. True, you can use WINE to run *some* of the games, if you know how to configure it, but if your game doesn't run in WINE, then you need Windows.

My solution for gaming is to run a virtualized Win XP Pro from within Linux. Coincidentally, that's the way I do my home development in .Net, too.

I agree with you on the soul reason becuase linux is FREE. Wine works well to but again, with some games. Check out CodeWeavers. You have to pay for it but It is considerably cheaper than Windows

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Neither. All operating systems have there own advantages and disadvantages, as I'll explain now.

Windows is brilliant for gaming, particularly XP (Vista eats too many resources), and provides excellent compatibility, making it ideal for computer noobs.

Linux based operating systems offer excellent security and are much more customisable, however they're harder for noobs because try all you might, you can't avoid using the terminal (command prompt for Windows users) sometimes.

I personally don't trust Microsoft with my computer, I find their attitdue to security appalling, and only run Windows in a virtual machine so I can test my sites in Internet Explorer and Safari.

I run Ubuntu Linux because it offers the applications I need via the repositories (Ubuntu uses package management applications to avoid making you compile every single application from scratch, it's really useful sometimes), and looks really nice when you install Compiz Fusion....I just love eye candy.

I find that some games for Linux are pretty good, whereas a lot just suck compared with their Windows based alternatives. But gaming is gradually getting better as more people try out Linux operating systems and like them.

I love not having to run Norton AntiVirus or AVG or McAfee or NOD32 or whatever, I get to use all of my 2GB of RAM and all of my AMD Athlon64 X2.

One thing I'd have to say is that both operating systems (Vista too) have crap support for 64-bit. My Ubuntu system crashes with the Flash player (Adobe SUCK at releasing the Flash player for Linux users) and with Windows just refuses to boot sometimes (vanilla install).

Basically, I prefer Linux systems to be honest, but I don't love them. I don't really care about whether something is open source or not, I'd choose the Flash player over the Gnash plugin anyday, I prefer VMWare server to VirtualBox, I'm not fussed.

Last edited:

allinone

Reaction score
linux is emerging out as there are not enough softwares available for linux hence still windows is bets but may be in future linux wiill be more userfriendly ....

like2program

Reaction score
Linux,
Although windows is cool and all, linux is plainly worth more.
Even though its free it's still worth more.
Why? All of its features just cannot be beat by windows.
The only reason it hasn't dominated the market is because its free.
I told one guy that linux and windows were both $200 and he chose linux because of its features.:biggrin:
I later told him that linux was free and windows was $200 and he chose windows.:nuts:
Why? "Well I think windows has more features. Plus its worth more money"
Totally pissed me off.
Just my observation.

allinone

Reaction score
it depends on the pc configuration as if u have small hard disk then its better to have linux. but if hard disk is ok then go for windoes bcoz uwill have all softwares available for windows