Linux web and mail server

stesouthby

Reaction score
Hey am new to linux and I have been asked by my boss to set-up a linux web and mail server for email marketing purposes what linux distro is best for this and also does any one have a great tut on how to do this coz I have been looking at loads of tutorials and each one ends up failing HELPPP :)

wongers

Reaction score
bad idea to take on a project that you have no knowledge about but ill try and dig out an old manual for you a bit later on.

stesouthby

Reaction score
I know its not a great idea but its the only way I will really learn plus my boss is set on it don't really know why but there you go haha

justjoiner19

Reaction score
Most of linux distros can parfectly soot your needs it one of the features thatmakes it poweful OS.

Most of web hosting tools like apache web server were originally designed on linux. My advice to you is to look for server editions of a particular distro. My recommendations rely on ubuntu server edition I bet u wont hustle so hard.

nico.botero83

Reaction score
as a distro you can use CentOS... it is commonly used in web/mail servers. For serving "web-stuff" you can use either apache or nginx (i preffer nginx). And for mail i cant really suggest one (i dont have experience with them)

palmerx6414

Reaction score
CentOS seems to be popular for servers, as well as Ubuntu Server edition... Also heard good things about OpenSUSE servers.
I would say just use a XAMPP or LAMP (apache) based server on them, since I believe both have support for mail server as well. Lighttpd seems to be an alright choice as well, but doesn't come with the same components as XAMPP or LAMP, you'd have to know how io install things to the server (php-5, MySQL, SQLite, etc). However...

Wongers is right:
bad idea to take on a project that you have no knowledge about but ill try and dig out an old manual for you a bit later on.

Be honest and say you're not very knowledgeable on this topic, and therefore, can not set one up.

Either that or tell your boss that you may need very ample time to study and figure it out- and then attempt it once you've perfected it.

Until then, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pYUZQmM8Bk

(I prefer XAMPP, but Ubuntu Server has direct support for installing LAMP as you are installing the OS).
I also wouldn't recommend using a multi-function desktop OS as a server, like the guy did in the video.

Very easy to look up video tutorials on setting up such a server.

Here is a more full-length video that I found from a quick search.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUTacvPKn9U

Last edited:

paneo

Reaction score
Download the Ubuntu Server 10.04, and when you are finishing the installation you can select what install (mail server, web server, etc).
For reference, search "Postfix" in the web. If you will develop your service in PHP, then install LAMP. Else if you will develop in Python, search "Nginx".