List of Files in public_html

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek1499

Reaction score
Hi I recently just installed a forum, but put it in my public_html folder instead of a forum folder so I deleted a bunch of files and folders and I was wondering if you could give me a list of the folders and files that you get when you get your free account. Or would it be easier to reset my account...?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
It should install in the public_html folder. Everything should be in there you want people to see on your site.

To my knowledge, none of the files or folders are required. They are put there by CPanel for the various tools it offers. You'll have to go through each tool and make sure it's set how you like it to be set.

There is no "resetting" your account. You can request it closed and then reopen another account, if that's what you want to do. You will lose all files and databases.

gomarc

Reaction score
You can also try cPanel -> Files -> R1Soft

200tfnl.jpg

and restore things to some day prior to when you started deleting.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
You can safely delete and change every file/folder inside the public_html folder as there are no critical files in there.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
You can always re-create it after, the server won't even notice the change.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
The only important folder is the cgi-bin right? Thats it?

cgi-bin is not important if you don't use any CGI scripts provided by cPanel. Deleting that folder will remove all existing CGI-related items, but the next time you go to create another CGI object, the folder will automatically be recreated.

goldy1

Reaction score
Hey, I've done the same thing (a few times actually!) and learned from trial and error that you can completely remove the public_html folder. When you install a mysql database, if you use fantastico or something similar, just keep the directory to install to blank, for wherever you want your "home" to be. Then everything else will go through there. Last night I decided to back up my files. (Well, I d/l'd them through FTP since x10 seems to have disabled backup through cpanel). In doing that, your files should be safe for you to experiment with. My problem was that I got indexed fairly quickly, so now in google there are a few pages I didn't put back exactly as they should have gone and returns a 404 error. But, you live you learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.