Live Stream Wall

1erik1

Reaction score
Hey I'm in need of something and was wondering if anyone knew something close to or exactly like what im looking for.

I want a sort of wall post for my site, that does not require login and updates without you having to reload the page, with a text box and an imput button at the top.

1erik1

Reaction score
err yes. i guess? got any good examples?
Edit:
but I want features like

• being able to post pictures
  • Like / Dislike Posts
  • Comment Posts

Last edited:

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Just like ajax powered comment form kind of thing. So no need to refresh the page just everybody commenting.

mcbryanm

Reaction score
TOS says:
"Shoutbox\Chat Scripts Use of these scripts is strictly forbidden due to the amount of MySQL queries they take. Accounts found with chat scripts or shoutboxes will be suspended."

Not sure if this applies to you, but I'd check to make sure it's ok.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I want a sort of wall post for my site, that does not require login and updates without you having to reload the page, with a text box and an input button at the top.

This doesn't voilate the rules as the can post only text and it will be updated on page. Just like a commenting. So it is not a problem until it is not taking heavy resources.

you have to ensure that they don't spam it. like posting warez links etc... because it doesn't require the login as the op said.

Last edited:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
you have to ensure that they don't spam it. like posting warez links etc... because it doesn't require the login as the op said.
Seconded. Make sure you have:
  • a decent captcha (though captchas can be broken whenever they're solvable by humans, which defeats the point) or one or more alternative Turing tests, such as text CAPTCHAS.
  • if you have a login system, captcha is skipped for logged in users
  • as an alternative to Turing tests, require comment approval. Since OP wants quick turnaround for new comments, I'm guessing OP won't take this route.
  • throttle posting (record IP and date for comments, disallow new comments if IP has posted a comment in the last n seconds; n should be a tunable parameter; decent values are 30-120 seconds)
  • links to flag comments as spam and (perhaps) as offensive. Flagged comments should generally require moderator intervention to delete, though you could make it so that if enough visitors (or registered users) flag a comment, it gets hidden until a moderator decides what to do with it.
Note that the requirement that new comments load without reloading the page will increase server load. Whether you're polling with AJAX or pushing with Comet, there's no efficient way of implementing the requirement. If you use AJAX, keep the poll period low.

Without both throttling posting and a low poll period, your system would qualify as a chat system.

Last edited:

xgreenberetx

Reaction score
You can do what you want by using fopen in php. it writes to a text file and it is updated instantly. The best one I come across was made in flash, and was actually a chat type program.

1erik1

Reaction score
can you show me an example? and this is only temporary, the site will later be expanded to require user login, and other measures.