Local SQL database transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzitguy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, so please advise if I have posted in the wrong location...

to the question:

does anyone have any tips or ideas on a quick way to restore a SQL database from my local web-server to its on-line counter part?

jmcgowan

Reaction score
it mostly depends on what front-end you're using to manage your database. If you're using phpMyAdmin to manage it, one of the tabs up top says 'export' and another says 'import'. You can use those tabs to export the database from your local web-server and import it to your online counter part.

nzitguy

Reaction score
it mostly depends on what front-end you're using to manage your database. If you're using phpMyAdmin to manage it, one of the tabs up top says 'export' and another says 'import'. You can use those tabs to export the database from your local web-server and import it to your online counter part.

Yep, on to it now, many many thanks for your help

allofus

Reaction score
ah,
so thats what import / export does... go figure.

Sorry I could not resist.

I have run into problems several times when importing larger than about 5 mb, especially with the query but I found a really neat program called navicat.

Makes backups and 'shuffling data around' really easy and because it is not depending on either the memory in the browser from the 'huge' clipboard paste it does not white out and crash.

Also if you are using cpanel and have downloaded a backup called say 'database1' and you want to replace 'database2' with it you can just rename it and use the restore feature.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I have run into problems several times when importing larger than about 5 mb
In phpMyAdmin, you can choose to export only certain databases to cut down on file size. You can also edit an SQL file and split it between statements. Still more steps than if you can use a non-web app, but if you want to work with a remote DB that doesn't allow network connections, it's useful.

nzitguy

Reaction score
Well, tested the process and it seems to work, so anyone else in the same boat, please give the above link a go.:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.