Looking for a good content management solution...

Doc Photoshop

Reaction score
I am looking for a open source PHP based content management solution that allows me to add and update photographic galleries and other content on to a website, but doesn't have the front end like Xoops, PHP-Nuke and the like.

The reason I want something like this, is that I want to be able to design my own front end, not one of the stock generic ones that usually come with the systems mentioned above. I have found that with the full packages, even if you redesign a template to fit, then you are still stuck with a generic look (columns/blocks) instead of having something that is unique in look and functionality.

Anyone know of anything out there that is worth taking a look at?

Doc Photoshop

Reaction score
E107, Yeah I have had a look at that, but what I am really looking for is something to just manage the back end, and build my own front end on to it...

I have had a look around, and the only thing that I have found that comes anywhere near, is Silverstripe CMS.

Has anyone experienced this? I tried installing it on to the testing server I have (Mac OS X 10.4.11 server based, PHP/SQL Enabled) but I keep getting PHP version errors?

Anyone got a site that is based on this engine, that I could have a look at?

Last edited:

satbir

Reaction score
If you are using Drupal then you can use splash page module to have your own front page.

jensen

Reaction score
You should consider DRUPAL 6.0. It gives you so much flexibility to redesign your pages. The only "problem" is one's level of CSS and understanding of PHP that would limit your imagination.

If you only want to have a photo gallery that is fully functional and yet light weight, then consider Zen Photo. That's the easiest to build a photo gallery.

port5900

Reaction score
I am currently playing around with Silverstripe I was able to install it here on X10 on the first try with no errors. When all the requirements are met for the install, I must say its pretty solid. The only problem I think with Silverstripe is that its new and you wont find much support for it other then on there home site. Never the less I screwed it up two times so far only cause I dont know crap about PHP . So I can say the thing takes a beating. Its also very very front end friendly for designers. Hope you get it to work.