Looking for a nice Static html CMS.

vgchat

Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice cms that can handle static, semi static html based webpages if that makes any sense.

Here is a markup I did a long time ago of what what be optimal.

old-layout.jpg

Being able to easily color in the sections would be great as well. I'm having a look at some cms but haven't made up my mind yet and am looking for suggestions.

For a better idea, I'd like to turn this, into something CMS based.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The simplest and lightest out there right now is probably Hugo (https://gohugo.io/). There's a bit of command-line and config (TOML) to get used to, but the templates are pretty much bog-standard HTML with placeholders and the content system is Markdown, which is perfectly fine if your markup needs are light (no complex accessibility issues, microdata, not much in the way of definitions, inline citations, foreign language inclusions, and so forth). As long as your page hierarchy is pretty simple, it seems like a doddle to maintain/generate, and deployment is just static file uploads. If that doesn't seem like the sort of thing you're looking for, perhaps you can go deeper with your question.

vgchat

Reaction score
Hmm so I can't just jump in it & create new pages, if not, thats a negative..? Is it available in scriptaculous or easy to install without ftp? Due to the nature of them, cheat sites tend to have thousands of pages, so can it manage templates sitewide?

I was using vbulletin 4 but I'm not so sure about continuing to use it. Here are some issues that are on my mind though:
*security concerns - it seems that more & more exploits keep popping up.
*big database - it might be a hassle to find the right cms which can also handle converting the database of a vbulletin 4.
*a little concerned that theming & posting on a CMS might not have the ease vb4 had.

Other than those issues, I'd keep using it but I'm thinking of switching if there's a cms that can handle converting the database.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It doesn't install on the server at all. All that goes on the server is the generated pages, which is what "static HTML" means. You want a secure CMS (or, rather, forum software), and there really ain't no such thing - there's only "reasonably secure at the moment, as far as anyone knows," and actively maintained/easy to update. Anything that can be edited or contributed to online is vulnerable, and anything that's even remotely popular has exploits that are either in the wild already or being looked for by thousands of people who are really good at that sort of thing. If there is active code running on the server and the source code is available, it'll likely be vulnerable - especially if it's skinnable, since themes and plugins are how most of the nastiness gets in these days.

jensen

Reaction score
How about hexo? https://hexo.io
Am generalizing but it seems like everyone claims to be the faster engine for CMS. that their's is easier or faster or blazing fast and easy to install. Even if you know what you want you still would have like a bunch of cms with various flavours that it's so hard to decide.

on a side note, thanks for introducing HUGO. I've given up on GRAV.

Here's a good site that summarizes a few of those Static Site Generators. https://www.staticgen.com

jensen

Reaction score
after 5 years, someone finally came up with wowchemy to make hugo deploys so much of joy. Thank you esseller for introducing hugo to me.

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
it would be more beneficial to just search using google for what you want.
instead of limiting your search to the support forums.