Looking for someone to help assist with coding?

Hermoine22

Reaction score
Hello
I am looking for someone to help assist in coding for my website. I have tried and not able to create a registration system, I need someone to be able to tutor me and show he how to create what I am looking for. I am making a virtual hogwarts and I need the ability to create a registration form, that stores student information, they are to log in and view their profile and information etc...also to be able to sort them automatically into a house and assign student ID. I have gotten as far as creating a registration using this tutorial http://www.phpeasystep.com/phptu/24.html but this is to verify email I do not need students to do so. It would be much appriciated if I can get some assistance.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As long as the Sorting Hat doesn't actually need to be telepathic, I might be of some assistance. Gotta warn you, I'm more of a Snape than a Lockhart in the personality department; but, then, I'm also more of a Snape than a Lokhart in the knowledge department as well. Fire me a PM so we can do some email correspondence -- this is a bit more than the forum can tolerate.

Hermoine22

Reaction score
Yes I have basic knowledge, but this is new to me first attempt.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
My recommendation: use Codeigniter as a framework - it has a lot of useful features built in that are good for beginners. A good Codeigniter tutorial (basics) is here, but it has a few very basic errors. I've also seen this tutorial recommended, but I haven't actually looked at it myself.

Codeigniter has a pretty good template system built in, and some good session and database features - you can find details about all of them in the Codeigniter User Guide. Then just search google for stuff like login systems.

The Codeigniter database class will definitely help you, it's very good and well documented.

I don't think you need some to help you - just use google and you will be able to find everything you need.

~Callum

learning_brain

Reaction score
A good registration system has several steps and should not be undertaken lightly, which is why a framework may be of use.

1) A register page (preferably with a CAPTCHA image system), which gets username, e-mail and password. The php should then store this information to the database as an unverified account together with a unique ID.
2) The php should then auto-fire an e-mail back to the e-mail given with a link+ID back to a verfication page - which would again ask for confirmation of password. (This is optional if you have a good CAPTCHA process)
3) The verification page will then update the database to show that the user is verified.
4) A login page - this can use cookies or sessions to check that the username and password match. If they do, store that information in cookie/session for all future pages.
5) Every page which is user-sensistive should have a check on it to find out if the user is logged in correctly.

Quite a few steps - some of which requiring one-way encryption.

Is that a start?

I personally hate using templates because they are tricky to alter if you don't understand how the template works... however, for someone with little knowledge - this is probably a good plan.

Last edited:

Hermoine22

Reaction score
Yes it does thank you but I just need to learn how to go about it I have never done it before

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Codeigniter would make coding this a lot easier, as it has a lot of the features built in. Read the tutorial, then search the internet for a login script tutorial.

~Callum

denzil

Reaction score
Send me a pm if you are still stuck. I'm probably only a few steps ahead of you. Started learning php about 5 days ago. But I can help with setting up your db and guide you with some php for user registration and log in. Pretty much the steps mentioned in post #7. Although I'm not too familiar how to go about sending the email for verification (I'll definitely look that up anyway). But yes, feel free to send me a pm.