Lost in Translantic Translation

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Following a recent post elsewhere on the X10 forum from across the pond it got me wondering about the subtle differences in the English languague.

In particular where words have different meanings depending upon context or in some cases are completely different entirely yet describe the same object. eg: Tap / Faucet, Torch / Flashlight.

Is it worth making a web page dynamic to change the spellings depending upon which side of the Atlantic the visitors IP address says that they are?

galacticgraphix

Reaction score
Personally, I like the fact that we all have differences. It means we must expand our mind to comprehend the meaning of the words that are unfamiliar to us. It may even mean visiting dictionary.com to gain a better understanding. That means growth on our part. I think we should embrace our differences in order to appreciate our uniqueness as an individual, as a nation. I am a Canadian citizen living in the United States so I see subtle differences everyday. It is was makes life interesting.

Just my humble opinion . . . :happysad:

www.galacticgraphix.com

Last edited:

jules7

Reaction score
Hi,
I believe that in the United States of America they spell languague without the second u. lol

I don't see any benefit to localizing the spelling of words like color and aluminum, we all know what we mean and I like the idiosyncrasies.

Regards,
Jules

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
If the movies have taught us anything, it's that confusion about "pants" is terribly funny.

In any case, the linguistic differences aren't that bad yet. The Queen's English is very understandable on this side of the pond.