lynxphp

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
http://lynxphp.com/

I'm looking for thoughts about the theme, mostly. Some people say they hate it, others say they like it, what do you think of it?

~Callum

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Your site is easy to read - good contrast and font size.
Easy to navigate.
Did not find any broken links.
Might want to get yourself a nice favicon of some kind just to make it look a little bit more professional.
Nice work IMHO. Don't know why anybody would say they hate it.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
They said the design was too plain :(

*cough*GothX and frozenmafia*cough* :D

~Callum

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm seeing code samples that don't colour inside the lines on Chrome (8.0.552.224), and your H1s don't wrap well (the type is set "hard", with the ascenders of the second line coming right up to meet the bottom of the x-height baseline on the preceding line). I'd like to see a bit more whitespace before all of the in-copy headers, to tell the truth -- they look less like headers for the following section than independent bold statements right at the moment. A bit more space before (or a bit less space after -- your call) would "marry" them to the section they head a lot better. An argument could be made, too, that the typeface is a little too big for the content column width; a local copy with the body font size set to 85% is eminently more readable to this old coot (who has horrible old-man eyes) -- Verdana is really good for that -- and it really cuts down the raggedness of the right-hand side of the copy.

That's all picking nits, though -- overall I like the design. When it comes down to quibbling over typography, you gotta know that it's all that's left to complain about.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
div#content is set to line-height: 1.5em, what do I want to do to get the h1s proper?

~Callum

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you leave things as they are, the line-height for the header elements will be based on the font-size of the body text. If you set the line-height for the header elements, it will be based on their own font-size mapping, so
Code:
div#content h1, div#content h2, div#content h3 {
   line-height: 1.2em;
   }
will fix the problem. (Yes, browsers should be smart enough to do that themselves. No, they aren't.)

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey Callum,

Theme looks good.

Just tell me where are the dates for the posts. I have to open post to see the date when it was posted.

Try to add post date next to post on front page. :)

Second option is that
the categories , why don't you place the categories on the lower black bar below logo.

just my two cents.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Just tell me where are the dates for the posts. I have to open post to see the date when it was posted.

Dates aren't really necessary, it's an information site, not a blog :/

Second option is that
the categories , why don't you place the categories on the lower black bar below logo.

I tried that, it looked a bit rubbish

Thanks for looking though! :D

~Callum

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
1. The code snippets in the .htaccess section are still overrunning their bounding box.

2. The subsection titles such as 'Error Documents' are larger than the actual post titles 'ultimate guide to .htaccess', they are also lacking in consistency down the page, with some larger than others.

3. Sentences start with capital letters, so should the post titles.

Other than that, I don't see any major design issues beyond personal preference.

Jesse

Reaction score
Not bad, it's plain and simple.
Although seems to be there's a problem with the layout width. :/

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
1. The code snippets in the .htaccess section are still overrunning their bounding box.

Solved by moving them into single.php, which is full width.

2. The subsection titles such as 'Error Documents' are larger than the actual post titles 'ultimate guide to .htaccess', they are also lacking in consistency down the page, with some larger than others.

Fixed.

Thanks everyone :)

~Callum