Mac or PC

mtrasi

Reaction score
I like Linux and use Windows for work (http://www.abcautocad.it).
So i installed VMWare Player in Linux (it's really easy, if you use the bundle and know the command "sudo sh ...") and I can work with Windows inside Linux.
Try it on www.vmware.com
It runs smoothly, even faster than when I worked with Windows, cause time after time, installing programs, it went slower and slower.
Now I only use a virtual Windows System and so it's easy to mantain a clean machine..
;););)

frogamus

Reaction score
I have always had PCs. I like all the free programming stuff you can find now days. Some I've used lately I had to get a linux shell for.

espfutbol98

Reaction score
I like windows much more than Mac just because I don't care about Garage Band or anything. When I use a computer, I just want apache to work while I write code and am on Facebook.

vperlin

Reaction score
Windows box for me.
Running the 7 rc at the time being, and couldn' t be happier.

Being in an industry that is seemingly 'dominated' by macs, I can't understand why.
There is absolutely ZERO advantage in using a mac over a pc nowadays.

I'm also sick of hearing (everyday) "The OS is just Sooo Solid!"
I've been running the same install of Windows Vista Home for the past 2 1/2 years, and never had an issue. Not even a blue screen ( knocks wood :p )

I just find it pointless, and infuriating that a company charges so much for something that has so many limits compared to a self-built machine. Sure, you'll look cool with your mac and you can sit back drinking your fair trade coffee and stroke your mac ego, but at the end of the day, you just paid a substantial amount more and got the exact same thing/or less then what I have.

Now, not to completely slag mac, because if they weren't so friggen expensive, I would probably have one. I thought about buying a PsyStar until I read that Apple sends out little destroyers with it's updates to brick the PsyStar machines. This is where, as much as I hate to, I have to give it to Apple. They're proprietary. So much, that it drives me insane. It's a smart business move because people just love mac (for reasons unknown to me) and if you want one, you'll pay out your ass to have one.

But... when you really get down to it... it's all about preference. Whatever someone is comfortable with, they'll use. It's all a matter of opinion as to what one wants. I can use PC and Mac (honestly never tried Linux yet), but I would prefer a PC.

So yeah, I like to ramble...

jbrenton

Reaction score
I prefer Windows for everyday use as I have used this since Win95 but I have to say that Mac OSX is a nice OS.

Windows OS is bloated software.. The Mac commercials are spot on!!

I now use Linux as my main OS with Windows and OSX on vmware...

Virtualization is the future for OS's IMO..

loveispoison

Banned
Reaction score
i have been always with windows and love it and will always use windows dont like mac dont know why maybe bcoz im used to windows lol

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Linux but, unfortunately, I have to use Windows to manage my iPod. :(

richneerd

Reaction score
I use my Mac for everything. My PC I don't touch it anymore, planning to sell it.

For me currently MAC > PC ;)

zapzack

Reaction score
Mac.. Because my next OS upgrade will be $29.. All you Windows people will be paying $100+ hahahahaha.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
And the Linux people will be getting it for free!!!

But you're wrong zapzack. Microsoft will be selling the Windows 7 upgrade for $50. $20 isn't that much of a difference considering the advantages windows has over macs. ;)

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yep, microsoft's sale expired. At one point in june, they were selling pre orders of windows 7 upgrade for $50.

As for advantages, Windows has the huge advantage over macs of compatibility. Nowadays, stuff is getting more compatible with linux that with macs. ;)

zapzack

Reaction score
Actually more companies make mac versions of their programs now.. Though linux has almost none

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Obviously you've never used linux or else you would know that all the best software is readily available for linux (free in the repositories)!

You should try linux sometime. You really don't know what you're missing out on.

zapzack

Reaction score
I have tried linux.. I don't find it very practical for my uses.. It is practical for running servers.. I ran debian when i used to have a VPS..

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, how long has it been since you tried ubuntu 8.04 or later? If you've done tried that recently, you'd know that linux is good for a lot more than servers. Linux is the absolute best OS for even casual desktop users who like fancy graphics. Check out the Jealous See club in my sig. if you want proof of that.