Mac OS X vs Vista

BJames1530

Reaction score
Well, it's time to buy a new computer again and I've grown sick of microsoft products. I was curious on how the speed of a macbook is after a few months of use versus a vista laptop.

xPlozion

Reaction score
Well, between OSX and Vista, I'd prob go w/ OSX, but it depends on your needs. I'm kinda stuck w/ XP due to my obsession w/ PC games, and PB doesn't work well with Vista. Is it the MS products that got you mad, or just Vista?

I also don't buy manufactured PC's, therefor I don't see any problems that others would have ;)

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Vista is actually more compatible than people make out, and I'm saying this from experience. I'd go with Vista.

estate

Reaction score
Go with the mac book, if you later decided that you want to move to Windows you can install it on Macs using Boot camp which is supported by Apple (both in XP and Vista and soon Windows 7)
so my advice is to go with the mac.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, between OSX and Vista, I'd prob go w/ OSX, but it depends on your needs. I'm kinda stuck w/ XP due to my obsession w/ PC games, and PB doesn't work well with Vista. Is it the MS products that got you mad, or just Vista?

I also don't buy manufactured PC's, therefor I don't see any problems that others would have ;)

Why are you using PB? Uninstall that piece of crap now! :biggrin:

As per OS X vs. Vista, It all depends on your usage of the computer. If you're geared towards casual gaming and multimedia, by all means go OS X, but if you are a gamer, you'll need to install windows on your Mac as well has have OS X. Really, the choice is yours.

Picard1595

Reaction score
Get a Macbook, or macbook pro and install XP/vista via Boot Camp. I love Mac OS 10 and use it for everything non gaming related just about and I do my most of my gaming on XP. It works out well. As to the speed of OS 10 after a few months there is little slow down if any. My macbook pro has had no problems for the year and a half I had it. I have used Macs since the 90's and the latest OS 10 versions are stable and fast.

PatrickH

Reaction score
I prefer to use Mac OS X rather than Vista, but that's just personal choice.

Really, you can't compare these two operating systems, mostly for the fact that these don't use the same software, hardware (I know you'll tell me they do have the same, but it won't all work for apple).

tridge

Reaction score
I'm a gamer and I can't ever ditch my PC, but I would love to have a Mac laptop for school. I find Mac's are really good for your "average user" and PC's are for people who know they want a PC.

You really have to boil it down to "features" and what your going to need a computer for.

adam.k

Reaction score
Personally I prefer Mac OS X, but like has been said before, it boils down to personal choice and what you need. I've always used Mac so that's what I prefer, I use PC's too but really it comes down to your personal preference.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
Have you thought about Linux? I've never tried it, but I hear it doesn't have many viruses. If you don't like Vista, I think you should try Mac OS X (which is what I use). If you don't like that, try using Linux, or another operating system like ReactOS.

freenetter

Reaction score
I totally agree with alexandgruntz - Vista is fine. True, it does need more RAM and a higher-spec CPU then Windows XP, and has higher system requirements than Mac OS, but it does the job well with the right hardware.

If you can afford it (Although I think it's a total waste of money), then get the best of both worlds and buy a Mac and dual boot Vista or XP with Mac OS using Parallels or Boot Camp.

tpounds

Reaction score
You could always try out a Linux distro. Like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, CentOS or Mandriva.

Reliable, and fee :D

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
I would go with OSX because of it's features. I would try windows 7 when it comes out.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I totally agree with alexandgruntz - Vista is fine. True, it does need more RAM and a higher-spec CPU then Windows XP, and has higher system requirements than Mac OS, but it does the job well with the right hardware.

True, but RAM is cheap these days (I got a 2GB stick of laptop RAM for NZ$40 :biggrin:), and also cheap dual-core CPUs exist. :)

burner35

Reaction score
My choice must be left with either :D Mac for Adobe software, hardcore gaming for the vista machines. :D

If you want a mac for its looks instead of it's features, I strongly suggest you re-think that ;)