Macbook, Air, or Pro

Bfish

Reaction score
Anyone have one of the above? I'm looking in to buying a mac want do know and negative experiences with apple.

Thanks,

Brent

MarioMaster

Reaction score
You should get the Macbook Pro. The Macbook Air has no USB ports, very little memory and hardly and RAM. The Macbook Pro has all of that stuff, and it's only a little larger than the Macbook Air. But think about it for a second, the only thing Apple ever said in their advertisments is that it is very, very small. Why would you want to put your laptop in an envelope anyway?

Bfish

Reaction score
Ha ha, Great points. I think I'll spend the extra $1500 and get the addons just to be a noob. I love Mac... I was just wondering if anyone has had problems with the systems.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I know, me too. I'm just trying to help :). The only bad thing is that not enough people have them, so not very many people make their software for Macs, they just make it an executable file. I'm getting a Mac with an Intel based processor so I can run Boot Camp soon, though :).

Last edited:

master_of_the_web

Reaction score
My brother-in-law has a Macbook and it has always worked fine for him. I agree Ene789 about not getting a Macbook Air, that is only for people who travel alot. Choosing between the Macbook and Macbook Pro, well, it is only a matter of price. I'm am planning to get a Macbook because I can't afford a Pro (I'm a poor middle school student).

MarioMaster

Reaction score
But has anyone noticed how the only thing good about the Macbook Air that Apple ever advertises is that it is thin and can fit in an envelope? I mean, why put it in an envelope when you can put it in a box:thefinger?

brilliantbro2000

Reaction score
my 2.4 GHz macbook fits in a manila envelope too,
plus i have an optical drive, 2 usb ports, ethernet ports, twice the disk space, and a faster processor

i use a macbook, but id much rather have a macbook over the macbook air...

wolf693

Reaction score
I'd go with the Macbook Pro. The fact that the Air only has one USB port, no Ethernet port, no removable battery, and that you can snap it in half with your bare hands (well, at least the screen anyway) really deters me from buying one. Not that I would anyway because I'm a bit of a Mac hater. And also, I want a laptop that I can tell that it is on my lap, I don't want to be typing on a feather.

My school uses Macbook Pro's and I've had a good experience with them!

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Air is extremely lame. I'd suggest the Pro if that's your only option.

If you plan on using this laptop for school related stuff (not intense gaming), I'd suggest that you wait for this:
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9912854-7.html

A 9 inch laptop with good battery life is all you need. Not to mention the price is pretty cheap for something that small!

gnutellapoky

Reaction score
I have had a titanium powerbook and 2 powermacs (quicksilver and mdd) previously. I then moved to a macbook. I used it for 6 months and sold it before the original warranty expired. I couldn't get used to all the plastic (albeit posh). I'm currently using a macbook pro--1 system to rule them all (lol) I use it at home and bring it to school (because our department could not afford macs).

To be honest it is really heavy. I've always wanted a 12" aluminum powerbook for it's small size (it has a cult following for portability) but I can't consider the Air just for this reason. You see, I've made the move to get rid of my desktops so the macbook pro was the logical choice.

My insights:
~I've only used the optical drive for installing programs (the Air addresses this through remote disk)
~The touchpad is superior and the Air's is even better
~1 USB was all I ever used (I use firewire for my external drive)
~Excellent networking, I imagine the Air to be even better.
~Get Air if you have a desktop to pair with. I gave up synching when I got the mbp.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
This is an old topic, but it's a good one. I'll keep the discussion going by saying that my mom just got a Macbook (I'm not lying, just so you know). She spilled something (I don't know what) on her PC (it was a piece of crap anyway), and didn't want to spend too much. So we went the Apple store and got her a Macbook. The Apple store is pretty sweet. You should check one out sometime.

hermitobserver

Reaction score
I am a proud "has a friend who owns a macbook owner". He says it rocks. The Mac Air is so horrible. I knew someone that dropped theirs and it bent. The actual physical frame of the computer bent. She said it still works but is practically ruined. It also has no usb ports. What good is a computer without any USB ports? The MacPro is the best laptop Mac out there. Get A Mac...:)