Make A Website

Woolie

Reaction score
I seem to remember my first site design prog was publisher :) It did some stuff

raynor

Reaction score
Back in my day we didn't have none of this flash fx or dreamweavin...no we had good ol' commodore 64, that could do anything but cook your toast...and we had to walk 40 miles to get to the store, in the blarin sun with no shoes and half of a flanel shirt.

If you want to learn how to make a simple site and get alot out of it (html wise) go to htmlgoodies.com . I don't think they would have goodies in the name if it didn't make you feel proud about yourself after you are done!

Besides that, they have lessons on all other types of things, php, perl, etc.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Back in my day we didn't have none of this flash fx or dreamweavin...no we had good ol' commodore 64, that could do anything but cook your toast
ROFL. That brings back memories. I was poor and had to start out with the VIC20, later "upgrading" to Commodore 64.
I have been repeatedly told by "old timers" that all you need to make a website is a text editor and FTP.:biggrin:

michman

Banned
Reaction score
I don't like coding since it's too complicated and time consuming to be useful for my kind of projects.
I still made a nice looking site (check it out (my signature)). In addition, it was easy and took me roughly 2h :)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't like coding since it's too complicated and time consuming to be useful for my kind of projects.

It doesn't take very long to get to a point where a WYSIWYG approach becomes nothing more than a good start. If you can't work with the HTML code directly, you are limiting yourself more than you understand -- and you are also limiting your user base, your visibility to search engines and other machine readers (aggregators, assistive technologies like screen readers for the blind), your ability to add programmable features to your site, and so on. And let's face it, basic HTML is something the average ten-year-old can get a grip on in a couple of hours.

Dreamweaver is the undisputed king of the WYSIWYG editors, but without its code view, it would be useless to anyone but a designer. As a developer, I can tell you that I'd rather get a page design as a PSD or a PNG from a designer who can't code than an HTML document that needs to be completely rewritten. An HTML document should mean the same thing to someone who can only read the HTML as it does to someone who can see the completed page in a graphical web browser. If you don't understand HTML, you can't make that happen.

All one needs is a good text editor. You can code a site in Notepad, but that is being unnecessarily hard on yourself. Most text editors offer a lot more than Notepad does -- clip libraries, syntax highlighting, macros, snippets and templates can cut development time quite a bit. Some text editors to consider: TextPad, Notepad++, emacs, VIM. IDEs offer a different level of help. I use PHPIDE out of habit (it's been around a while), but I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone right now -- the indentation handling in the editor is buggy. I used to LOVE Aptana Studio, but the PHP module has been withdrawn (I still use it for JS -- its ability to work with Ajax libraries is awesome -- and Python). Zend Studio is absolutely fabulous, but unless you're doing web development for a living, the price will hurt.

michman

Banned
Reaction score
@essellar
Thanks for the lesson.
I do know some HTML but I can't seem to find the time to develop my knowledge into something truly useful.
I'd also have to learn CSS and xml (I know they're similar to HTML).

Also, I do edit the HTML a little if I can't find the built in feature that does the job for me so I'm not completely lost :)

Thanks anyway

v4xde

Reaction score
I used several programs, but now I just need the Notepad and alter by hand a few things here and there.

btfog

Reaction score
you should try to learn the codes... it can be fun and useful later on