Make Your Firefox Startup Faster!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xavierkym

Reaction score
One thing that has always left me puzzled is why Firefox takes so long to startup. Both Opera and Internet Explorer take just seconds to get up and running, but on all four of my computers Firefox takes between 10 and 20 seconds to start (even with no extensions installed).

If you find yourself in a similar situation then what you might need is the open source Firefox Preloader.

Firefox_Preloader_1.gif

It can be set to startup when you turn your computer on, and with it Firefox will always be at your beck and call. If there are multiple versions of Firefox installed on your computer you can decide which one you would like it to work with.

This feature does come at a cost though. When the preloader first started up on my computer it used about 4MB of memory itself, and Firefox was using about 10MB. Those aren’t drastic numbers, but for those of you conscious about the memory usage you might want to think twice before using the preloader. Also, when you close Firefox it doesn’t actually close all the way, instead it’s just tucked away so that it will still start quickly the next time you go to use it.

DOWNLOAD: (for windows only)

Last edited:

HomerJ

Reaction score
Interesting tool.

For those worried about memory usage: memory that is unused is wasted. Not that you should use it for active applications, but some OSes (Linux for sure) cache libraries to speed up things like this. For me, firefox takes about 3 seconds to start up the first time, but takes no time afterwards.

Franc0

Reaction score
This feature does come at a cost though. When the preloader first started up on my computer it used about 4MB of memory itself, and Firefox was using about 10MB. Those aren’t drastic numbers, but for those of you conscious about the memory usage you might want to think twice before using the preloader. Also, when you close Firefox it doesn’t actually close all the way, instead it’s just tucked away so that it will still start quickly the next time you go to use it.

yeah that's why i dont use it.

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Good tool...but slower startups are also due to:
1.Large Memory Cache.
2.Too many adds/extensions.

Sohail

Reaction score
That never happens to me, plus i am using Mac so i can't use that tool. Everything is perfect for me anyway.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I have never had problems with Firefox starting slowly. In fact I have always thought that IE was slower to startup.

rickster090

Reaction score
nice sounds good im gonna download it right away ,coz it alwaysd take me at least 10mins for it to load up on my computer

cooldude101

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice tool. I haven't had a problem with FF starting up slow though.

pgames

Reaction score
I have never had problems with Firefox starting slowly. In fact I have always thought that IE was slower to startup.

same here nothing wrong with firefox for me!

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
I prefer firefox because it loads so much quicker than IE, I rarely use IE unless to check the way a site looks in it simply because it loads so slow.,

otherside

Reaction score
You can make firefox a prefetch program if you haven't already, that way it loads when you start the computer (but doesn't "open" the browser) so when you do want to use it, its a whole lot quicker to start up.
-The Other Side

afroxav

Reaction score
For me, all that ff did, was to slow down my computer and bug Firefox... I personally do not recommend

Last edited:

mgilks

Reaction score
Great Idea. Only problem is im running a brand new iMac... Anything compatible for this?
Edit:
same here nothing wrong with firefox for me!

Firefox can be slow. But IE7 Is the Slowest Of Them All! ;)

Last edited:

fireput

Reaction score
Hmmm ... while this preloader can startup FireFox faster, am not sure if this application actually slow down Windows startup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.