making a blog without using a blog...

vrufusx65v

Reaction score
Site Reference: betatest.shotsoundstudios.net

I know it seems confusing and far-fetched, but I would like to have my home page posting column be kind of like a blog. The "CoD Vs. Nazi Zombies" example I placed is how i want it to look like. The problem is making it operate the way it looks. What's an easy way to develop this "Blog-like" system without really using a blog [i.e. WordPress]

Salvatos

Prime Account
Reaction score
I do it using MySQL. First I have an admin page where I have to log in (with phpBB integration it's even better, you can check for admin/mod status or even group membership, so you can make a blog-posting group). In there I have a straight-forward form for title, date, category, language and content with a nice little live preview function:
HTML:
<script type="text/JavaScript">

<!--

function preview(text) {

var prev = text.value;

document.getElementById('preview').innerHTML = prev;

}

//-->

</script>
(...)
HTML:
<TEXTAREA name='text' onKeyUp='preview(this.form.text)' cols=70 rows=15></TEXTAREA>
(...)
HTML:
Preview:<br />

<div id='preview'></div>

That info is stored in a MySQL table and fetched once on the homepage and ad vitam eternam on the blog archive page. That part as well is pretty easy if you've worked with SQL before.

vrufusx65v

Reaction score
That part as well is pretty easy if you've worked with SQL before.

And that's my problem. I can handle HTML, CSS, Javascript, & even Jquery with very little effort. But when it comes to MySQL, PHP and server-side code..........well, it's not pretty.

honesty everything you just said in that last post was confusing. I understand that you can use phpBB to help manage the "blog-like" section, but im still hung up on integrating the login system...

I am a perfectionist when it comes to web development, if something isn't right, i fix it as best I can till im happy with it. In both cases that i presented to the Forum [this one and the login system] i can't quite understand how to do them because of PHP and server-side coding. I hate asking, but do you think you could create this for me? i'll help you out any way I can, (which i'm sorry for in advance for my lack of Server Code knowledge)...

adam.k

Reaction score
As far as the blog part goes, if you don't mind working in the command line and deploying to your website manually, i've found Jekyll to be pretty good. Jekyll Website

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Site Reference: betatest.shotsoundstudios.net
What's an easy way to develop this "Blog-like" system without really using a blog [i.e. WordPress]
Yes.I think that you want to integrate a blog plugin kind of system to your existing site.If that is the case,you can use Pivot Blog scrip or Serendipity Blog php script along with your site on the same database.They will run as internal but independent components.
Regards,
VVBB