Making a public Apache server...

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm running a private server for WoW, and it's pretty active, about 30 people per day.. Not bad for me xD.

Now I want to make a site where my GM's can mod their items, but all the web-hoster's I went to won't allow their server to connect to my Database.

So I need to make my own HTTP server. I already have Apache installed, configured to work with PHP (I have a few scripts running). Now I can only access it, me and my LAN.

How do I go about configuring httpd.conf to let others access it?

I have both HTTP ports configured (80 and 443) on my router, and my firewall..

I tried to mess around with the config file, but it keeps shutting down apache xD..

Thanks for the help guys =P

~Blaze
Edit:
Please help, I need to get this site running =(..

~Blaze

Last edited:

woiwky

Reaction score
If you're running LAMP/WAMP it should be as easy as clicking the 'Put Online' option.

Otherwise, first you'll need to look for 'Listen 80' in your httpd.conf file. If you don't see it, add it. If you see Listen followed by an IP, delete it or comment it out.

Then, find the <Directory> directive for the folder which you want to be public. If you don't find it, add it. You can find information to help you with adding it here.

Regardless of if you made it or if it's already there, the important thing is add this in the directive:

Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

If you see 'Deny from all', delete it. Of course you'll need to restart apache after you make these changes.

If people are still unable to connect, ask them if they're getting a Forbidden response or if they're unable to connect at all. If they can't connect, it's most likely an issue with your router or firewall(s). However a Forbidden response means that the <Directory> directive is probably not set properly.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't forget, some ISPs unless you have a business account/a static IP address will block the incoming port 80. If this is the case, set Apache to use a different port and use a port 80 redirect on your domain name. Just a heads up.

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Don't forget, some ISPs unless you have a business account/a static IP address will block the incoming port 80. If this is the case, set Apache to use a different port and use a port 80 redirect on your domain name. Just a heads up.

I do think my ISP is blocking port 80, I'm bout to change it to a different port. Does it matter which one, as long as I redirect it? *and add it to my firewalls*

If you're running LAMP/WAMP it should be as easy as clicking the 'Put Online' option.

Otherwise, first you'll need to look for 'Listen 80' in your httpd.conf file. If you don't see it, add it. If you see Listen followed by an IP, delete it or comment it out.

Then, find the <Directory> directive for the folder which you want to be public. If you don't find it, add it. You can find information to help you with adding it here.

Regardless of if you made it or if it's already there, the important thing is add this in the directive:

Order Allow,Deny
Allow from all

If you see 'Deny from all', delete it. Of course you'll need to restart apache after you make these changes.

If people are still unable to connect, ask them if they're getting a Forbidden response or if they're unable to connect at all. If they can't connect, it's most likely an issue with your router or firewall(s). However a Forbidden response means that the <Directory> directive is probably not set properly.

I'm using WAMP, and I think I need to edit my ports. I'm gonna try that right now.

Thanks both of you =D

It was port 80, I had no idea that Optonline blocked it =(

I'm using no-ip to re-direct it, and then I added a .co.nr domain to it as well. Thanks for the help guys =D +rep for both =D
~Blaze

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I do think my ISP is blocking port 80, I'm bout to change it to a different port. Does it matter which one, as long as I redirect it? *and add it to my firewalls*
~Blaze

If you tell me who your ISP is, I can find out if they probably are or not. But yes, if need be, you can redirect it.