Making an OS Interface... What do you guys think?

charifield51

Reaction score
This isn't a web-review request so relax :)

What im looking for is people to voice their opinion about my extensive project! My Traffic flow is low, so turning to my fellow .x10'ners (cheesy i know) and tell me what you think of my Interface designs. Heck, you guys should download it and tell me if its good or not :) Its free anyway so why not :rolleyes:

FYI: My interface is just like running a game. It installs and doesn't remove your windows or tampers with anything. So if you dislike it, hit uninstall and Poof! So its very safe to try, nothing to worry about. And its not done yet. This is just an interface. Still working on it, so expect minimal functionality

Screenshot:

HexScreen13.jpg

Here is my Website. You can download it from there:
http://hexadecimal.x10.mx

Thanks guys :wink:

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It may be free (and pretty) but it would be pretty much useless to me. And that may be a big part of the problem right there: you're selling in the wrong neighbourhood. Don't worry, you're not alone there. Microsoft is doing the same sort of thing with Windows 8. They have a slight advantage, though, in that they can be more tightly integrated to the metal and they can stop selling earlier versions of Windows to force adoption for anyone who wants to buy a new machine if things don't work out as planned.

Obviously, I spend a little bit of time in the browser. Almost everyone (except Richard Stallman) does. But my computing life doesn't revolve around the browser, "social" sites or media consumption. I'm both a developer and a photographer (and by that, I don't just mean someone who owns a camera and takes pictures). My machines aren't appliances or toys, they're tools. I don't need easier access to the frills and time-wasters (if anything, I need something that makes them so hard to get to that I won't bother trying — and it shouldn't be scriptable either, or I'll just write a work-around and still waste time). I need to be able to run several IDEs and rich application clients (a couple of which are Eclipse-based, which is hell on I/O) and to comfortably work on 80 megapixel, 16-bit-per-channel images in Photoshop with up to 100 layers. I need the full attention of the CPU and GPU, as much of the RAM as possible, and the widest pipeline to disk I can get. A simple, phone-like interface, especially one that runs in a virtual environment on a run-time on a host OS (.NET on Windows) taking up valuable resources is the last thing I need. That's not to criticize you or the OS: it's just that I'm about as far from your target audience as possible, and even trialing your work would be a waste of my time and resources (as are the Start Screen and Charms Bar, etc., in Win8).

And a lot of the people here are Linux users. (Which, I suppose, is sort of okay unless you're a serious/professional photographer. The GIMP isn't quite Photoshop, and though you can achieve similar results in most cases, everything a pro would do takes at least twice as long — usually longer — and there's poor support for tablets, real colour management, and workflow-enhancing plugins. It also doesn't integrate well with image management tools on Linux. But I digress...) They're not your target audience either. Nor are the Mac people.

That doesn't leave a lot of people here. There are a lot of folks who might be able to make use of your GUI/OS who are members and who have hosting accounts for their hobby sites and personal pages, but they're not the kind who spend time hanging around the forum. You need to be visible in places where your audience lives. That means places like lifestyle forums and blogs. You might be able to get a little bit of notice in a few scattered tech spaces, like Hacker News (a startup-oriented news aggregator run by the YCombinator starup incubator) or Reddit (either of those might lead to something on Technorati or Ars Technica if the work is interesting enough), but apart from places like that you probably want to steer clear of techies. You want content consumers and social media junkies, not developers, designers ans SEO guru wannabees.

Go west, young man.

Last edited:

Palmer640

Reaction score
I was just looking for a new shell to replace old Windows XP. Normally I use Linux, just got a different computer with XP and didn't want to remove it because of games- but I can't stand this Fisher Price interface XP has. It's so counter-productive to me. You say this doesn't actually replace anything on Windows though? Maybe it would be better off as a completely new shell for Windows (and perhaps other OSes)? I could be wrong, but from the screenshots it looks minimalist and simple, which at least that I like. :)

But essellar is also correct. You're kind of asking the wrong audience here. This seems like something more for the recreational computer user, not the serious developer or power user. Not that it looks bad. As I said, I'd rather have it than the interface I have now, but I also do not use my computer like I used to, and lately have only been using it for internet and games every here and there.

Last edited:

vivcool

Reaction score
It looks good, a bit similar to windows 8. But yours is unique. Don't stop pursuing your goal though, look for funders on websites like kickstarter and crowdfunder if you need it, it will hopefully attract people who are willing to contribute and give you some tips and improvements.

As a young, social user and designer, I think it looks great. Well done on making it.

Last edited:

chatngox

Reaction score
Is this a web interface or like Ubuntu's ubi setup!
But yeah, looks good for a start!

musash1

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as the other guys. As a designer myself, the first thing I would say is to think outside the box. All of the new user interfaces to me has gone from very useful and boring to look at to extremely useful but very bland. They are designed to make it look like we're all stupid and that we don't know how to get to places. Anyways, good luck my friend. Keep at it.

wodongax

Reaction score
I was so impressed with the Screen shots, and the YouYube video (although that video was sped up too fast) I thought I'd give it a go but you have suspended further downloads :(

Looks good, my 2 bobs worth is to focus on touch, with onscreen keyboard (maybe a sliding, auto hiding option)

Hope it goes well for you.

Cheers'

alicemartin

Reaction score
This isn't a web-review request so relax :)

What im looking for is people to voice their opinion about my extensive project! My Traffic flow is low, so turning to my fellow .x10'ners (cheesy i know) and tell me what you think of my Interface designs. Heck, you guys should download it and tell me if its good or not :) Its free anyway so why not :rolleyes:

FYI: My interface is just like running a game. It installs and doesn't remove your windows or tampers with anything. So if you dislike it, hit uninstall and Poof! So its very safe to try, nothing to worry about. And its not done yet. This is just an interface. Still working on it, so expect minimal functionality

Screenshot:

HexScreen13.jpg

Here is my Website. You can download it from there:
http://hexadecimal.x10.mx

Thanks guys :wink:

Its awesome! thanks for this update

Last edited: