making logos

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0bv1la

Reaction score
What is the best program to make a logo with I would like to try my hand at making my own, and are there any free programs I can download and use?

KentonBomb

Reaction score
There are plethora of solution you could use.

If you got $600 Bucks to burn, you can go with the professional solution: Adobe Photoshop. The standard in overly expensive products that do their job right. It's great for more advanced users, but beginners can get something out of browsing tutorials on the internet (Google is your friend here!)

If you want a free solution, you want the wonderful program called "The Gimp" which stands for "GNU Image Manipulation Program". It is free, awesome, and at the same caliber as Photoshop is, but without the price tag. Although it's equally as powerful, it's not so "Newbie Friendly". The control scheme is definitely a steep learning curve if you come from Photoshop like i did.

The GIMP is free, and multi platform, so when you don't have a Windoez based computer around, GIMP is what you want.

All in all, go with something like Photoshop if you have the cash, but give GIMP a try too. With a few tutorials, you will be making banners like the pros :)

gross

Reaction score
I dodn't have 600 bucks to burn, so I burned 170 instead. Adobe Fireworks is much easier to use than Photoshop. Although it doesn't have as many features, it's more userfriendly and still offers a great amount of options. If you're a student, then you can get an awesome discount for it at: www.academicsuperstore.com Give that a try.

iholla

Reaction score
Making logos can be done with any image editor. Photoshop, Coreldraw even the inbuilt mspaint in windows and gimp in linux. The quality of your logo will depend on your imagination.

There's however an application I use called logocreator.

Its about 155 metres(read MB) in size and comes with tons of inbuilt templates which are easily editable and modifiable.

So far, its the best i have come across. Try googling for a trial download. Once you download and install, proceed with your creations and just printscreen the application window to export once done.

The trial version does not offer saving files or export option.

Merry creations to you!

b0bv1la

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys I tried some of the free ones but I went to staples and spent $30 on a program called MYLOGOMAKER Professional Very easy to use for a newbie like myself and easy to export into frontpage also because you can save all logos as picture files using extensions like jpg,bmp,gif,tif,png or pdf. I didn't have to spend a fortune to get the results I wanted.

Thanks again

Jesse

Reaction score
If you want i can help you create a logo, im good at photoshop.

Socius

Reaction score
Gimp is pretty easy ^^
I always work with it, the only problems I have with gimp is that i still don't get how to make animated GIF's in it, I can a bit, but not that well.
I don't know for photoshop, but Gimp has some nice feautures to make logo with.

As Shuanak said: http://www.gimp.org
My signature is made with Gimp btw

Last edited:

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
any graphics program will do, but if you want quality, then you should get a vector drawer, since you can resize without losing much detail

winlux

Reaction score
I agree the best thing is vectors because they are scalable and always clear and crisp. For an open source vector programme similar to illustrator you can use XARA Xtreme found at http://www.xaraxtreme.org/

Hope it helps. Enjoy

Sohail

Reaction score
yeah vectors can be easily resized without losing quality and it's the professioanl way to do things these days ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.