Making the ad code easier to use

saachi

Reaction score
I was thinking if the ad code was shorter and easier to use, there wouldn't be so many 'problems'. I thought if the way I put the x10 ads on my site was made standard, and all the pages updated accordingly, things would be better. I've been incorporating the ads for my site this way ever since I signed up and haven't had any problems since.

So what would it look like?
Well, pretend this file resides at http://x10hosting.com/advert/ad.js

Well anywhere in your page, but preferably in the <head> section, you would put this...

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://x10hosting.com/advert/ad.js"></script>

...and where ever you want the ad to be placed, you put this...

<p><script type="text/javascript">x10_ads(X);</script></p>

The red is X is what controls which ad gets displayed depending on which account you have, so everyone would use the same ad code only changing the number, 3 for x10Advanced and 1 for x10Corporate.

What do you think?

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
We'll let one of the admins see this, but you arent allowed to modify the ad code at all. This could get your site suspended.

saachi

Reaction score
bigguy said:
We'll let one of the admins see this, but you arent allowed to modify the ad code at all. This could get your site suspended.
OK, I'll PM Corey and bring this thread to his attention. I brought it up just over a month ago but got no word then.

n4tec

Reaction score
I think modification of the ads can only be done via phpadsnew..

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
Well it wouldnt be so hard and difficult if you people just knew how to copy it correctly to your webpage. It isnt that long and hard to copy correctly. Just copy line for line (copying all makes it go onto 1 line on most website design programs.

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
I dont think you are allowed to modify the ad code at all, in anyway.

n4tec said:

n4tec

Reaction score
i know that.. I have been on these forum since feb.. i heard my sister say i recite the x10 TOS in my sleep.. :hsdance: yet when am awake i cannot remember them.. :bigok:

bigguy said:
I dont think you are allowed to modify the ad code at all, in anyway.

n4tec said:

Last edited:

TheJeffsta

Reaction score
Well, it is a good price to pay for such great hosting. A few more seconds of putting the ad on the site, for the best hosting deals around (for free and without required forum posting).

saachi

Reaction score
TheJeffsta said:
Well it wouldnt be so hard and difficult if you people just knew how to copy it correctly to your webpage. It isnt that long and hard to copy correctly. Just copy line for line (copying all makes it go onto 1 line on most website design programs.
Well, your point backs up the reason I proposed this, because of the difficulty some find in using the current ad setup as evident by having a quick glance in the client support are. I'm sure you have seen many 'OMG ad code doesnt work' threads, if the documentation was tidied up a little and the ad code made simpler, these threads wouldn't be so regular.

migachim

Reaction score
And while we are at it, maybe make the ads conform to XHTML1.0 Strict & XHTML1.1:naughty: I had to change all my DTDs to Transitional so as not to be flagged down by W3C validators. But as mentioned, a small price to pay for this great web host.

03moscropl

Flash Freak
Reaction score
ieven if the main code does not change i have no plroplem with user chossing wether the banner should be vertical or horizontal!

SadistBlue

Reaction score
From what it looks like he isn't modifying the ad code at all. (Are moderators out there who don't know html / java basics?) I believe he is putting it in a seperate file the .js file, and calling a javascript to return back the ad (seemingly untouched). The advantage to this is the ad code can easily be changed if need be, if for example it's changed, so in the end he wouldn't have to reupdate all his pages with the new code. It's really not helping a ton, but it's the basic principle.