Man stopped at airport for having no fingerprints

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhruv227

Reaction score
Man stopped at airport for having no fingerprints
When a cancer patient from Singapore traveled to the United States last year, he discovered an unusual side effect of his medication: missing fingerprints.

The 62-year-old man was taking capecitabine, or Xeloda, to treat head and neck cancer. Upon arriving in the U.S., immigration officials asked him for his fingerprints. But the drug had caused so much redness and peeling to his fingers that the patient, identified only as Mr. S., had none.

Customs officials held Mr. S. for four hours before deciding he was not a security threat, according to the case published Wednesday in a letter to the Annals of Oncology journal.Capecitabine is a common cancer drug, routinely given to patients with head, neck and kidney cancers as well as lymphomas and leukemias. Doctors said very few patients temporarily lose their fingerprints while on Xeloda, but it does happen.

"Most patients will complain they're having difficulty holding things or sensing things," said Dr. Otis Brawley, chief medical officer of the American Cancer Society, who was not linked to the case. "I've never had a patient running into a problem with police authorities, but this is not an exaggeration. It could actually happen."

fingerprints_20090526202623_320_240.jpg

After returning home, Mr. S. asked his oncologist, Dr. Eng-Huat Tan at the National Cancer Centre in Singapore, to write a letter certifying he was on capecitabine.Surprised by Mr. S.'s predicament, Tan recommended in his letter to the journal that patients taking capecitabine carry a similar doctor's note if they are traveling to the United States.

Unlike most other countries, American immigration officials take two fingerprints from foreign visitors.Tan said up to 40 percent of patients on the drug develop a side effect known as hand-foot syndrome, which causes redness, peeling, numbness and tingling. Of those patients, only a small percentage actually lose their fingerprints.

"Patients probably would not notice anything until they travel to the U.S. and discover to their horror that their fingerprints are gone," Tan said. Mr. S. was Tan's only patient to report such a predicament, but Tan said a handful of other cases were described on cancer blogs.

Once patients stop taking the drug and apply ice to their hands, their fingerprints will return in about a month.Brawley guessed that U.S. officials became suspicious because criminals sometimes erase their fingerprints with sandpaper or dip them in acid, which would appear very similar to how Mr. S's fingers looked.

But he says there are too many side effects from Xeloda, including a weakened immune system and increased cancer risk, that it would be unlikely anyone would take the drug for less-than-honorable reasons."No criminal in his right mind would take this drug to try to get rid of his fingerprints," Tan said.

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Could you please at least provide a link from the source that you copied and pasted it from?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well this news article is pretty interesting. I know it is possible for skin to peal off due to medications or infections, but I never thought that you could lose your entire fingerprint due to a medication.

mifuyu

Reaction score
Is this even possible? I wonder how he's going to deal with other business requiring fingerprints. D:

zen-r

Reaction score
Could you please at least provide a link from the source that you copied and pasted it from?

I also asked about his source over on dhruv227's other post around the same time ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/off-topic/98150-can-you-believe.html

Unfortunately, my polite query wasn't answered when he later added more photos.

A quick Google can reveal that all dhruv227's latest posts are being lifted directly from 1 forum elsewhere. Some examples ;

http://forum.santabanta.com/showthread.htm?t=133153

http://forum.santabanta.com/showthread.htm?t=117078

http://forum.santabanta.com/showthread.htm?t=133138

http://forum.santabanta.com/showthread.htm?t=133051&highlight=save+earth+appeal+boys

http://forum.santabanta.com/showthread.htm?t=128307&highlight=Megan+Quotes+Make

http://forum.santabanta.com/showthread.htm?t=121667&highlight=Creative+Bras

The posts that he copies don't give their sources, so I guess that's why he hasn't provided them or replied. Mind you, the stories are interesting & worthy of discussion - but without sources it is hard to know their veracity, & also is disappointing when one gets interested but follow-up questions can't be answered.

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
yeah, all these threads this guy has posted here seem unbelievable. I'd say they all just get deleted, but that's just my opinion.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
He got banned, I think that's punishment enough :biggrin:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
yeah, I'm not trying to punish him, I just think that these posts are total nonsense and that there's not a grain of truth in them.

zen-r

Reaction score
yeah, all these threads this guy has posted here seem unbelievable. I'd say they all just get deleted, but that's just my opinion.

yeah, I'm not trying to punish him, I just think that these posts are total nonsense and that there's not a grain of truth in them.

I don't agree. I think that the content in his posts could quite possibly be true. But as I said earlier, they do still need their sources quoting, so that we can judge for ourselves & also try to get more info if we are interested.

dhruv227 never responded to questions or provided any follow-up info - because he didn't know any!

It seems a shame if he was banned just for this, but perhaps it was due to additional factors such as passing off this work as his own, not adding any of his own views/ comments, or maybe the content of some of them. Also this post wasn't too nice. :happysad:

Last edited:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No, he wasn't banned for this I don't think.
He put up another thread that discussed stuff that should not be discussed in mixed company, and I reported that thread. Shortly there after, that thread disappeared and he was banned.

zen-r

Reaction score
No, he wasn't banned for this I don't think.
He put up another thread that discussed stuff that should not be discussed in mixed company, and I reported that thread. Shortly there after, that thread disappeared and he was banned.

Ah, I see. Yes, that makes more sense.

Darn it, I missed that post. That'll teach me for being busy & not being tuned in here 24/7 !

With reference to this thread, ichwar may now have the dubious honour of earning a special gold bonus star in his cans-of-spam rating, for getting someone banned. You can also change that link in your sig to "I can get you banned"!!

(I'm going to end my part in this discussion here, before I get told off for going off-topic. Please PM me or take it here if you want to talk further. :) )

Kayos

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
While this thread displays a colorful story it's a bit too far fetched. That said the conversation within this topic has veered off course and is focusing on the controversy surrounding the creator of the thread.

I gather that the reason he was banned was due to spam and the decision made to ban him was fully warranted, especially from the deleted posts I can see.

I will close this thread now as it serves very little purpose other than a place of ridicule.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.