maple/matlab

wjh2303

Reaction score
where is a good forum to ask for help with issues regarding maple, matlab, and similar packages? if anyone here is confident with them ill elaborate on the specific problem im having

thanks

cerbere

Reaction score
I worked a lot with Matlab, maybe I can help you.
As for Maple, I only used it do lengthy polynomial multiplications.

If you have access to newsgroups, look for comp.sys.matlab. Maybe there is a Maple group too.

Also check IRC for such channels.

wjh2303

Reaction score
i found mathhelpforum and posted this:

ok first of im pretty new to maple, but i turned to it when i needed some symbolic integration and summation done, and dont have the symbolic maths package for matlab

I have a short bit of maths that seems to work well im maple, a double integral then a summation. There are two values i would like to sub into it (r and theta, polars..) to find the value of the solution at a given point. How best can i go about subbing in these values into the maple expression, and returning the answer to matlab. I can just us the evalf(subs()) expression in maple and copy it accross, but this is something i need to do thousands/millions of times in a loop.

Alternatively (how) can i use loops in maple to generate and process the data then output the lot into a file i can import into matlab to process further.

If ive been to vague anywhere, feel free to ask for more details.

if you got an ideas, im all ears :), ill have a go at the newsgroups but im not particularly familar with irc

cerbere

Reaction score
Did you try this Maple construct ?

for n from 1 to number do
read theta, r from input file
sub into your expression/function
write result to output file
end do;

But the way I'd do it would be to use Maple only for the
symbolic part, then implement the resulting expression
into Matlab for all further processing.

wjh2303

Reaction score
The problem with calling those values is that each value depends on the last, To sumarise the problem im solving, ive got an object travelling in some potential that is described by maple, so i need to find the value of the potential at the location of the object, so i cant just call values of r, theta unless i want to work it out for all possible values, which would be more time consuming and less accurate than being able to call the value at the points needed. Im not sure i can just paste the resulting expression because the final expression still involves a large summation and a complex double integral when maple puts it out...

Thanks