Mediawiki to gather infos and tips

Tyrael

Reaction score
I'm not here for so long, but I think it would be great, if we could sort and share the knowledge and the experience what we have.
For example I set up on my account a couple of script: mediawiki, drupal, smf and flyspray.
It was a few problem installing and configuring mediawiki and smf, but I solved it.
Then I saw, that there are others, that fall into the same problem, and some of them don't have the skill to solve it on his/her own.
So I just told them how to do it, but it would be great, if I wouldn't have to repeat myself.
So I came up with the idea:
Estabilish a wiki, where you gathers the howtos sorted by the scripts.
Every cms/forum/blog/other script can have a page, where we wrote down how we get it to work, and wich features are in conflict with the server enviroments.
And how to add the ads, and so on.
What do you think about this?

Tyrael

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
In a decent enough idea however:

1. many of these sorts of issues have counterparts on the forums, where they have already been solved. If someone was to just search, they would usually find a relevent post

2. wikimedia by default allows editing by anyone, so it would be difficult to keep in secure from vandalism (even if it is just temporary vandalism)

lambada

Reaction score
Searching on the forums is always recommended as many issues with scripts have been answered before.

If people don't search on the forums, what's to say they wont search on the wiki?

Its a good idea in principle but not very practical or likely to solve anything.

zero5854

Reaction score
Yea its a damn shame you cant trust anyone anymore! Im happy enough that these guys here at x10 allow for board emails and safe mode off...which so far to my knowledge NO other free host has.

Tyrael

Reaction score
In a decent enough idea however:

1. many of these sorts of issues have counterparts on the forums, where they have already been solved. If someone was to just search, they would usually find a relevent post

2. wikimedia by default allows editing by anyone, so it would be difficult to keep in secure from vandalism (even if it is just temporary vandalism)
1, Yeah, sure, but there are so many topics and thats unsorted, if you want to translate a word you can use the google for this, but you also can use a dictionary for it.

2, It can be configure to fill our needs.
For example: for editing the wiki you have to login with your x10 account, and if you do some vandalism, then your account is suspended.

Tyraelá

halohalo

Reaction score
Yea its a damn shame you cant trust anyone anymore! Im happy enough that these guys here at x10 allow for board emails and safe mode off...which so far to my knowledge NO other free host has.

I'll agree with that. All the other free hosts featuring LAMP are so gimped that you can't do anything with your account. I appreciate the trust that the admins running this service have for their free customers.

As for my opinion on the mediawiki - yes, it could be redundant since we already have forum message boards. I have a wiki of my own and have often wondered if it's a good idea to have an application like that wide open - easy to vandalize and deface if one chose to do so. Still, I like it and it's neat to draft up a quick webpage or two on the fly with a wiki. As I'm still new here, I'm not sure how a wiki will be accepted by the x10 hosting community.

nol888

Reaction score
I've already suggested that idea, and in a test run where i hosted the wiki, not too many people wanted to participate. So, I'd say that a wiki is not a good idea.

halohalo

Reaction score
I've already suggested that idea, and in a test run where i hosted the wiki, not too many people wanted to participate. So, I'd say that a wiki is not a good idea.

What was the stated purpose of the test run? My impression is that people have little time to mess around with a wiki site (as cool as it is). Maybe we could consider a wiki for a very specific purpose in mind such as "Programming Tips and Tutorials", "Television and Movies", "Travel" or something which there is a large common interest.

nol888

Reaction score
then some other site can host/start/maintain it. Remember, x10 is a hosting company.