meta description on each page?

gaptrast

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning to revise my site.

I am using this: <?php include'head.php' ?> for all the head section WITHOUT the <title>.

This have saved me from a lot of work.

Do I need to make uniqe description and keywords (meta) for each page?

Do you have any tips using meta tags due to search engines??

Can I use same meta keywords on all pages???

gap

threedee

Reaction score
It's one of the best practices to use unique keywords and descriptions as well as titles for each page. It's as good as telling search engines and readers that each page content is unique from another, that is of course, apart from your unique content itself.

Imagine if you use "radio jocks" as a keyword, and say, "The coolest radio jocks' site" as your description for all pages, then at some point you decide to write about how the government acts on music piracy, that isn't too descriptive for your new content, is it?

Even if your target for these description and keywords may be for search engine results and whatnot (and probably search engines still play a role on that), one of your primary consideration should still be the readers and how your content appeals to them. More descriptive content and content that are not spammy to the human eyes have almost the same effect to search engines.

mandy0

Reaction score
If you have made your own CMS like thing then there's a better idea for you.Do as i say.. In the table of posts insert additional field for META description and Meta keywords. And while you are entering new post Insert these two things in database. And during particular page retrieval call a function which will consists of code to extract meta tags from your database and put it in <meta> tag , so that your meta tags would be dynamic.
And meta tags would be different on different pages.. It helps a bit in search engine optimization though many of the search engines won't only concentrate on meta.. but it surely helps a bit.
You will be having something like
Code:
<meta description='<?php metaextractfun() ?>'>
<meta keywords='<?php metakwdfun() ?> '>
I am half asleep so there might be syntax error in above code but it would be something like this.

Last edited:

gaptrast

Reaction score
thanks.

I can use some base keywords (like: virus, pranks, jokes) and add uniqe keywords for each site (like: april fools, download, special prank)

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The "keywords" meta tag hasn't really been used by search engines since the early '00s, as it is too easy to manipulate. Some might use the "description" tag as a summary on search result pages if they can't generate their own summary. What's important is having semantic HTML to make the page easier to process by spiders, and the quality of the sites that link to yours and the link text.

If you've subscribed to an advertising service (either to advertise your site or to display ads for other site), that might use meta keywords to determine which advertisements should be shown on which sites, in which case it probably doesn't matter whether every page has the same or different tags.

Last edited:

mandy0

Reaction score
@mission..
Bro there are still many search engines which do use META Tag for their operation though those might be less in number.. but if you submit your website to those search engines also it would be helping you out. :) and having meta tags won't cause a problem! :)

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
@Mandy0: which ones use keywords & description?

It won't hurt to include keywords and description, but it's not worth spending too much time on them. There are plenty of other tasks that should take priority.

Last edited:

gaptrast

Reaction score
When I am searching for my site on the internet all sites like 'How much is this domain worth' sites and many other is using the description I used in my <meta> tags on their description of my site.

Last edited:

Gonrah

Reaction score
For my page I use that file:

HTML:
<meta name="description" content=" <?php echo $description; ?> ">
<meta name="keywords" content=" <?php echo $keywords; ?> ">
<meta name="author" content="Gonrah">
<meta name="owner" content="Tran Gonrah" /> 
<meta name="rating" content="general" /> 
<meta name="distribution" content="global" /> 
<meta name="copyright" content="Copyright © 2009, 2010, Troponoia Ltd., All rights reserved." /> 
<meta name="reply-to" content="gonrah@gmail.com" />
<meta name="classification" content="entertainment" />
<meta name="robots" content="index, follow" /> 
<meta http-equiv="content-language" content="en" /> 
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<link rel=stylesheet type="text/css" href=" somewhere  " />
<title>Acacia - <?php echo $title; ?></title>

Then I attach this file in everyone of my pages with

PHP:
<?php include "set.php"; //set is the name of the file?>

After that I create some unique for every page variables with values that I need.
In <title> tag I use combination of php variables and previously written text. "Acacia" is the title of entire site and after the line I insert the title of current page.
Is there something wrong in my code?

threedee

Reaction score
@Mandy0: which ones use keywords & description?

It won't hurt to include keywords and description, but it's not worth spending too much time on them. There are plenty of other tasks that should take priority.

True, however, keywords can be used for other purposes than just for search engines alone. For instance, sites that enable search functions may use the keywords for search results. This helps the site navigation itself which in turn enhances the site's user-friendliness.