Microsoft dropping support for Windows 2000 and Windows XP SP2.

conzone

Reaction score
I just download win2000 last month. lol
I still like win98SE.
Hate ME, Vista, Dos 4

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Why did you download an OS that's going to be unsupported in literally a month from now? Software companies began dumping support for 2000 over a year ago, even though it is a great operating system. I'd point you at Linux right now. Take Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for example. It runs smoothly on 256MB of RAM, running at only 104MB used out of the box and no swap used on an older PC in the home which had Windows 2000 replaced with Ubuntu just last week. It does run Windows programs only if you install WINE and use that to launch executable files.

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd point you at Linux right now. Take Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for example.
I just upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to 10.04 LTS this morning. While I have not had a chance to fully evaluate it, I have already noticed improved system performance and speed. I am very pleased with it so far.

It does run Windows programs only if you install WINE and use that to launch executable files.
WINE is an option for Windows apps but I never could seem to get it setup right so I went with VirtualBox. The one and only reason I need Windows capability at all is for Netflix streaming movies. Netflix refuses to provide Linux support.

conzone

Reaction score
Why did you download an OS that's going to be unsupported in literally a month from now? Software companies began dumping support for 2000 over a year ago, even though it is a great operating system. I'd point you at Linux right now. Take Ubuntu 10.04 LTS for example. It runs smoothly on 256MB of RAM, running at only 104MB used out of the box and no swap used on an older PC in the home which had Windows 2000 replaced with Ubuntu just last week. It does run Windows programs only if you install WINE and use that to launch executable files.

VM images and I still get the odd support call about it.
I still like PClinux 2007 cuz K6 processors :wink:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
VM images and I still get the odd support call about it.
I still like PClinux 2007 cuz K6 processors :wink:

I actually have an older AMD K6 machine sitting around here. It's on the network and I have Ubuntu installed on it too.

jdawg2k

Reaction score
i've tried mint linux 9 which is ubuntu based but has some nice features like a windows installer that sets up your system for dual boot and can be unstalled as a windows app. they claim its slower that way, i assume bcuz it doesn't make a swap partition or that its a virtual file system but its still faster than windows 7 on my laptop. same online repository as ubuntu and it supported my Wifi card immediately which ubuntu didn't

jdawg2k

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying mint linux on a 300 mhz celeron machine i have that has windows 2000 and slackware 8 on it

mattblog

Reaction score
In my opinion, there should be support for any product you make even if it gets upgraded. IMO>

Matt,

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
In my opinion, there should be support for any product you make even if it gets upgraded. IMO>
Matt,
Are you suggesting there should be perpetual support for all software? That is simply not practical. I still have copies of Win 3.1 and Windows ME. Should Microsoft be dedicating time, money and staff towards supporting these products just in case I decide to resurrect some 15 year old computer? You must realize that the cost of something like this would be passed on to all Microsoft customers. Do you want to pay additional cost for your software because I am determined to use old outdated software?

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Ha, as if they supported ANYTHING in the first place.

~Callum

dazman10

Reaction score
One of the many reasons I no longer use any Microsoft products.

If you pay a hefty price, as mentioned, you get excellent support. Unfortunately, the support is very limited when you don't pay. Always makes me chuckle when I see that you have to submit payment details to MS without getting anything first :)

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
It was going to happen, Microsoft announced this on release of Windows vista.XP is being used more than any operating system in world, thanks to the hardware and software compatibility it offered.But I don't like xp thanks to its virus loving nature.Whenever I inserts my pen drive to my friends's computer or they insert there's pen drive on my computer, antivirus catches viruses.
So thanks microsoft, bye bye xp welcome windows 7 and welcome ubuntu 10.04 if you support my usb bluetooth dongle.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
So thanks microsoft, bye bye xp welcome windows 7 and welcome ubuntu 10.04 if you support my usb bluetooth dongle.
Going to Ubuntu was one of the best decisions I ever made. For many reasons.

Carl

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Going to Ubuntu was one of the best decisions I ever made. For many reasons.

Carl
I use ubuntu, it is installed on my dual booting machine, but I am using ubuntu 9.04.Since 9.10 they upgraded bluetooth stack which is not supporting my bluetooth dongle.I love latest, but I am using old just like people in the world using windows xp because of so many reasons.Even launchpad and ubuntu forums didn't help me.
Bhupendra

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I am currently using 10.04 LTS. Not dual boot. Just Ubuntu. No problem using bluetooth dongle. Did you search "Ubuntu Software Center" for bluetooth? I think that is what I did and added something for bluetooth communications.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Did you search "Ubuntu Software Center" for bluetooth.?
Bluetooth stack shipped with ubuntu 10.04 detects bluetooth dongle.But it can't scan bluetooth devices and if I make ubuntu visible and searches from my phone it shows on phone, but not as pc.When I try to pair it with my phone ubuntu doesn't detect anything.I think it is using incorrect driver for my bluetooth dongle(BCM92035DGROM, bcm means broadcomm).In 9.04 I installed blueman which available in ppa archives of ubuntu, so I can pair and as well as connect my phone to internet.The only mean by which I connect to internet is bluetooth, otherwise I would have installed ubuntu 10.04 or 9.10.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
OK. Now I understand. You have different dongle and phone. I was lucky I guess. No problem getting my phone to communicate with the computer.

jdawg2k

Reaction score
Try Mint Linux 9. Its based on Ubuntu 10.04 but has better wifi support so I'm guessing bluetooth might be the same.
Bluetooth stack shipped with ubuntu 10.04 detects bluetooth dongle.But it can't scan bluetooth devices and if I make ubuntu visible and searches from my phone it shows on phone, but not as pc.When I try to pair it with my phone ubuntu doesn't detect anything.I think it is using incorrect driver for my bluetooth dongle(BCM92035DGROM, bcm means broadcomm).In 9.04 I installed blueman which available in ppa archives of ubuntu, so I can pair and as well as connect my phone to internet.The only mean by which I connect to internet is bluetooth, otherwise I would have installed ubuntu 10.04 or 9.10.