Microsoft goes over the clouds with Azure

manojlds

Reaction score
"Windows Azure" was announced during Microsoft's PDC (Professional Developers Conference) keynote and was introduced to be a hosted suite of services that include virtual computing and scalable storage amongst others.

Windows Azure is being seen to be similar to Amazon's Web Services platform, of course with Microsoft-centric services. The presenters at the PDC heaped praise on Amazon, saying that we all owe Amazon a debt of thanks for driving cloud computing forward and in true Microsoft style finished with a "it'll be bad if we're the only ones doing this".

"Ultimately the goal is to move all our properties," corporate VP Amitabh Srivastava said, summing up Microsoft's plans for Azure

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Continued microsoft crap... steal someone elses idea and pay more people more money to improve it a bit... give it to the customers who are like "oh this is nice" then never update it and just pwn you on support.

Sorry but they should really stick with what they do now... Amazon can hold its own and microsoft should be worrying about getting their OS's working better and have next-generation capabilities. Not trying to make more money by copying other peoples grand ideas.

Uchiha Sasuke

Reaction score
its alot more important that they get serious on if the next version of windows was the real deal and that it will improve on what vista doesnt have.

Armacci Design

Reaction score
As much as I like certain things about vista, I agree with everybody else on here that Microsoft needs to focus their efforts into fixing the remaining problems with it before branching out into other areas. Obviously, they have different departments for different projects, but I would assume that a multi-billion dollar company would focus most of its energy into perfecting its flagship application.

Then again, it's microsoft... :D

Uchiha Sasuke

Reaction score
well yea since the launch of vista in 2007 ppl were complaining about how drivers for vista was buggy and back then nvidia was releasing beta drivers for vista and now microsoft announces the next version of windows is almost like what they did when they launched windows me as a joke OS

vol7ron

Reaction score
Continued microsoft crap... steal someone elses idea and pay more people more money to improve it a bit...
Sorry but they should really stick with what they do now... Amazon can hold its own and microsoft should be worrying about getting their OS's working better and have next-generation capabilities.
I already mentioned Microsofts plan to move away from the conventional OS and to a cloud driven enterprise. This is not new news and I posted it some time ago. Clouds also should not be credited to just Amazon as Google has been publicized for introducing the vision of Cloud computing for some time now.

its alot more important that they get serious on if the next version of windows was the real deal and that it will improve on what vista doesnt have.
Agreed. See below though, one day we will not be running on Windows.

well yea since the launch of vista in 2007 ppl were complaining about how drivers for vista was buggy and back then nvidia was releasing beta drivers for vista and now microsoft announces the next version of windows is almost like what they did when they launched windows me as a joke OS
You have that backwards. If you read my other posts in this forum, it's Vista that's the joke OS. Windows 7 was the intentional release, but was delayed due to a number of things that demanded programmer's resources - the invasion of blaster worms and trojans. That summer can be compared to the same affect as the y2k bug that needed fixing - it didn't matter what you did, you had to make sure your applications were sound for that bug.

Because of that Windows 7, intended for 2005 release was pushed back, and Vista was introduced in the meantime, adopting some of Windows 7's capabilities, but not all. Basically, Vista is XP with some Win7 features, much like ME was 98 with some XP features. Go read my other posts on Vista vs Windows 7.

I'm not even sure why MS is putting out all the Ads for Vista, knowing full well that Win7 is almost ready to be released... "Buy our OS"... 10 mins later..."Buy our new OS"

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
I'm not even sure why MS is putting out all the Ads for Vista, knowing full well that Win7 is almost ready to be released... "Buy our OS"... 10 mins later..."Buy our new OS"

Course you know.. It's all about the MONEY!

That's all Microsoft has ever been in it for...

Whatever though... Just pointing out I know the reason they release unfinished OS's :rolleyes:

Last edited: