Microsoft's Zune to rival Apple's iPod

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitaorsa

Reaction score
from what i can see it's very similar to the iPod, guess it will depend on how users feel about the support Apple has given to its customers..

As for me i'm quite happy with my iPod

Chris Z

Reaction score
i love iPods, but i'd have to admit, that this "Zune" looks a little bit more personalizable so idk, i might end up getting one of those rather than an iPod but idk, i still have no money haha

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Hah Zune is going to own.. however I'm not a fan of any hard drive based mp3 player.. flash memory technology will soon take over

vitaorsa

Reaction score
Spartan Erik said:
however I'm not a fan of any hard drive based mp3 player.. flash memory technology will soon take over

Whats the difference as far as i can tell, flash memory hasn't reached the capacity..?

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
vitaorsa said:
Whats the difference as far as i can tell, flash memory hasn't reached the capacity..?

Of course flash memory has not yet reached the capacity of hard drives, but the main reason I prefer flash memory is because it lasts nearly forever! No moving parts at all.. hard drive heads tend to crash all the time, destroying data, etc. With no moving parts, flash memory is nearly immune (except from an EMP generated from a nuclear strike, or if you physically split it in two)

However, if you did want the capacity of a hard drive mp3 player in flash memory, it can be done but you'll have a larger than normal mp3 player

I'm quite satisfied with my Sony NW-E507; it has 1 GB of space (enough for my music), and has 40+ hours of battery life.. and has a bright screen! Makes the iPod Shuffle look like a piece of #!@&

Cubeform

Reaction score
The new iPod is about the same price as the Zune, is slimmer, and has larger battery life. The new iPod shuffle is ridiculously small, and I mean SMALL! Beats any MP3 player on the market. About the size of an SD card, I think. Also, you could lose it. OK, maybe that's bad...

Also, all Sony MP3 players suck because of the SonicS@#$^ (I'm sorry, SonicStage) software. I use Sony's MP3 file manager, which still doesn't solve some problems.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Cubeform said:
Also, all Sony MP3 players suck because of the SonicS@#$^ (I'm sorry, SonicStage) software. I use Sony's MP3 file manager, which still doesn't solve some problems.

Couldn't agree more; SonicStage SUCKS. I use Sony's mp3-player-installed file manager.. quite simple and does what it needs to do! Personally, SonicStage is MUCH BETTER than iTunes.. iTunes is the laggiest piece of junk I've ever seen; I hope Steve Jobs is getting hit over the head with this one..

Chris Z

Reaction score
umm..i'd have to disagree with SonicStage. if you took a look at what a SonicStage can do and any other MP3 or music player/encoder, it has a lot to offer, you can fit 490 songs on a CD, versus 200 or whatnot with MP3 format and i forgot what the sony format is..but it's not aac oh i think it's like at3 or ac3 or something...anyway, you can fit 490 songs on a CD with Sony music format versus MP3 format

Cubeform

Reaction score
That's the ATRAC technology, not SonicStage.

Also, the Zune is in the exciting colour of brown. No, wait...

mike16889

Reaction score
if i wanted to i could fit over a thousand mp3s on a single CD.

but they would sound crap.

at one stage i had 324 songs on my old 256mb mp3 player but they didn't sound to good.

Status
Not open for further replies.