mod_rewrite update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genealogy1

Reaction score
A previous thread [now locked] indicated that mod_rewrite was enabled on free hosting. Can someone tell me if this is true? And IF it is true then why am I getting this error on free hosting stoli server:

Error: mod_rewrite is not enabled

Apache's mod_rewrite extension must be enabled

nbwebmaster

Reaction score
It is enabled, or else my site wouldnt work. Did you turn on rewrite engine in htaccess?

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Close file manager.
On cPanel, click on

full graphics | hide icons | reset all interface settings | reveal all boxes | reset box order

Click on file manager.

You should get a popup...click on 'Show hidden files' (and 'don't show this again' if you don't want to the popup every time).

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
My website relies heavily on mod_rewrite. In fact most if not all the calls are being remapped and processed by my website framework using .htaccess mod_rewrite.

make sure that at the top of your .htaccess file this line is present
Code:
RewriteEngine On

genealogy1

Reaction score
The .htaccess file is present. This error message:

Error: mod_rewrite is not enabled

Apache's mod_rewrite extension must be enabled

This specific error message would lead me to believe it was the SERVER error not my website since the .htaccess file is present and turned on?

Last edited:

genealogy1

Reaction score
I tried modify .htaccess with both UPPER CASE "ON" and lower case "on".

Same error message immediately following [HOWEVER] it has been SEVERAL DAYS since.

Evidently, some time needs to pass before mod_rewrite actually works.

Does anyone here know how MUCH time needs to pass? 10minutes or ?
It took at least 30 min for the .htaccess file to appear after upload and refresh (plus the setting change in Cpanel to view all files.)

There was also a period of time that passed after checking .htaccess file and - seeing the .htaccess file was indeed "turned on" upon upload and
2) then changing it to upper case "ON" because the mod_rewrite was said to still not work.

I'm not sure if that Upper case or lower case made any difference. I really believe it was a time thing, unless someone has more experience than I (and there are pleanty of you peeps around!)

I checked the info today and mod_rewrite appears to be working.

Kewl. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.