Monotheism

jmcgowan

Reaction score
To extend my above question to you, wouldn't Christianity, then, be equivalent to the Aunt who saw you when you were 25 but denies that you're now 40(Islam)?

Also, isn't God perfect? How can perfection change? That would imply that he was not perfect before and, therefore, prove all 3 major monotheistic religions falls and nullify this entire topic.

For your first question, not quite. Judaism assumes that Jesus was flat out wrong, while Christianity claims that he is the Messiah and savior. Islam states that he was a prophet, but nothing more. Therefore, looking at the three religions chronologically, Christianity adds to the person of Jesus (from a liar/lunatic to the Messiah), while Islam takes away (from Messiah to just a prophet). Using the Aunt analogy, that would require the person to go from 12, to 25, back down to maybe 18 or 19. (Deep down I love analogies mostly because they can be broken down like this :biggrin:)

As I said in my last post, God didn't change, but how we understood Him did. The Jewish people before Jesus came thought that their Messiah would be a conquering ruler who would lead them immediately into the promised Kingdom of God (and many are still awaiting a Messiah like that). What Christians have found is that the Messiah that came was nothing at all like that, but instead came in the form of someone who claimed his role was as a servant to the church, and who eventually died for the church. In essence, how those early Jewish Christians understood God changed to fit this new understanding of their Messiah, but God was the same as He had always been.