(more) iPad Rivals

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I would bet everything that not one of those devices sells 2 million in the first two months like the iPad has, probably not all of them combined will even come close. Sure, they're all marginal competitors, but when they are running a full OS like Windows 7 they are destined to fail through poor user experience and sluggish performance. People want a tablet device to be simple to use and quick at the tasks it is required to do.
The android tablets do look a bit more hopeful as they, like the iPad, run a mobile OS, but I don't think the Android OS is quite there yet; I'm not saying it wont ever be, but it isn't yet.
I still find it kind of funny that the whole industry is permanently playing catchup with Apple by releasing 'me too' products that are rushed out the door in a couple of months with more problems than features; there is a reason it took Apple 3 years to bring us the iPad.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes but Apple can do that because they don't release 20+ new products per year like everyone else. Other manufacturers are having their own plans and products but don't want to "fall behind" so they rushed to make their on versions of tablet devices. This is because they want to tell customers they are interested in that type of devices and that they will work more on it in the future.

Apple makes something new every few years or so because they can. They don't need to make new products all the time because they have a solid brad and every time they release something new it hits few million sells in first couple of months thus buying them a lot time of to work on something else. Not to mention the prices of Apple products witch are almost always higher then competition. This is another example of power they have in their brand. They can make quality products and they can charge for them and still they'll brake sells record every time. A powerful brand indeed.

krofunk

Reaction score
The biggest problem that windows tablets have is that the windows os is "generic" meaning it is designed to work on everything on some level..this however has its faults and niggles/bugs.

This problem doesn't exist in apple products as they make the software AND the hardware..meaning that the OS is 100% compatible with the platform it runs on (no playing with drivers and configs etc)

That aside I am not saying that windows tablets do not have their place or that they are unreliable.