more points

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
flankerdin said:
I think just let it be like now...
I susport this. This is working fine. Maybe we should go screw it up....

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Mr. Brownlove said:
It may not be really working fine.
Problems:
- it could encourage SPAM.
- it is not fair

Although the suggested method may not solve the problems once and for all, I tihnk it is the right direction towards better and fair world.

Last edited:

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Wai_Wai said:
Mr. Brownlove said:
It may not be really working fine.
Problems:
- it could encourage SPAM.
- it is not fair

Although the suggested method may not solve the problems once and for all, I tihnk it is the right direction towards better and fair world.
Well it's working, There isent much spam at all besides the new people to are coming in and trying to get like 2,000 points in one day by making like 10 topics and posting 70 times in 15 mins.

And how is this not fair? Cuz new people come and have less points then the people who have bin here longer. (Cuz that is fair)

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
And how is this not fair? Cuz new people come and have less points then the people who have bin here longer. (Cuz that is fair)

Eg:
Person A prepare a lengthy tutorial on how to manage a forum - the same point
Person B sending a message to say "I agree with you on XX" - the same point

To me, I think person A should get more points than Person B.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Well it's working, There isent much spam at all besides the new people to are coming in and trying to get like 2,000 points in one day by making like 10 topics and posting 70 times in 15 mins.

However SPAM does exist.
To you, you may not think it is serious.
Yes, I also agree it is not serious. But it is not trivial either.

The potential threat is there - SPAM.
It seems to be working now doesn't equal to it is going to work all the time and we can ignore this threat.

Some people when they first set up their websites. Since no one / very few visitors, should he/she think that he should thus not secure its website (it's working, no hacker so far... I'm safe!).

Personally I will take a proactive approach to solve the problem first before the problem becomes more serious. "Prevention is better than cure."

PS: Anyway, it's my own opinion anyway. I just express what I think. No offense. By the way, you also gave some valid points which I agree. :grin:

Last edited:

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
S_W_A_T said:
LoLz... Damn getting that domain for 1500 would take like forever...
Since the domain only lasts for 1 year, and 1 post gets 1 point, so:
- we need to post 1500 posts every year to keep your dear domain.
1500 posts/year!?! Too many or too few?!?

the-void

Reaction score
Awarding 0.01 points per character is actually reasonably generous. This post, for example, comprises 152 characters, which would make it worth 1.52 + 0.5 = 2.02 points. Not bad, eh?

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
the-void said:
Awarding 0.01 points per character is actually reasonably generous. This post, for example, comprises 152 characters, which would make it worth 1.52 + 0.5 = 2.02 points. Not bad, eh?
I would not recommend setting a clear relationship between post length and points. Otherwise I will not create another problem, ie text SPAM. And you may see people tends to type (eg it is just soooooooooooooo cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

It may be better set something like:
- 0-500 words +1pt
- 501-1000 words +2pt
- and so on

And I think it may be better if x10hosting doesn't disclose the above info in the public. It simply needs to say, if you type more informative posts, you will award higher points.

What do you think?

the-void

Reaction score
Wai_Wai said:
It may be better set something like:
- 0-500 words +1pt
- 501-1000 words +2pt
- and so on
That sounds like a good idea to me. However, users might fill their posts with useless and repetitive text in order to quickly accumulate points. This would result in a great deal of work for the forum moderators and administrators (warning users, deducting undeserved points, etc.).

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
the-void said:
That sounds like a good idea to me. However, users might fill their posts with useless and repetitive text in order to quickly accumulate points. This would result in a great deal of work for the forum moderators and administrators (warning users, deducting undeserved points, etc.).
How about set a upper limit on it?
Also the implementation of Member Watch will help to spot out these crazy people who wishes to make use of every advantage (on the loopholes of the method) to get points.

Anyway comparing with other methods like:
- 1 point per post
- 0.01 per character
- different points for different lengths of posts, with upper limits (rules NOT disclosed clearly)

I tihnk the third is the best in achieving fewer SPAM & fairer point-awarding system.

Last edited:

Vietkid58

Reaction score
i think the costs are too high. we should be able to get points easier. like the domain thing, that is a bit high, and it should be high, but not impossible to achieve... right now it seems pretty impossible and leaves everything pointless... only admins seem to post enough to get the prizes.

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
the costs are too high. we should be able to get points easier. like the domain thing, that is a bit high, and it should be high

See the bold word.
Is it a typo?
You say the cost is too high, then you say it should be high.
Probably I miss something?!

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Vietkid58 said:
i think the costs are too high. we should be able to get points easier. like the domain thing, that is a bit high, and it should be high, but not impossible to achieve... right now it seems pretty impossible and leaves everything pointless... only admins seem to post enough to get the prizes.

Abut the prizes, I do think the prizes are not worthwhile comparing to thier costs.
Cost of domain nam seems ridiculous. And I can get a domain name witohut 1-year restriction for FREE in somewhere else. Not worth getting it.

As to removing ads for corporate plans, I don't see the need. First the costs are too high (at least to me). Second I think the offers porvided by x10hosting are great. I would like to keep them, rathe than hide them.

The rest are not useful at all. The only thing I find it interesting is "advertising". Again these can be obtained by other osurces. Luckily, the cost is reasonable. thus I don't mind spending my points for that. :p

Last edited:

the-void

Reaction score
I would definitely like to use my hard-earned points to purchase a domain name. However, it is much too difficult to accumulate 1500 points... I will probably never succeed in doing so. Bah, it's still an imaginative alternative to buying through Paypal. I am not exactly eager to transfer money via the Internet. :getlost:

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
the-void said:
I would definitely like to use my hard-earned points to purchase a domain name. However, it is much too difficult to accumulate 1500 points... I will probably never succeed in doing so. Bah, it's still an imaginative alternative to buying through Paypal. I am not exactly eager to transfer money via the Internet. :getlost:
There are some free domain names, so you do not need to pay.
By the way, if I purchase domain names from x10hosting, will it give me any domain name which I want?

the-void

Reaction score
Bah, free domain names such as ".tk" and ".co.nr" are not exactly to my liking. 1500 points can earn you a top-rated domain name, so I'm sure that you can purchase ".com" and ".net".

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
The points related to characters sound like a good idea but I'm not very good at PHP and I have other projects so I don't have time to look at the shop code to implement this. If someone wants to make a working version I will send you the shop code and give you 1,500 points if you make it work.

-Corey

B

Brandon

I think the point system is perfect where it is but we could lower the prices in the shop

Vietkid58

Reaction score
Wai_Wai said:
the costs are too high. we should be able to get points easier. like the domain thing, that is a bit high, and it should be high

See the bold word.
Is it a typo?
You say the cost is too high, then you say it should be high.
Probably I miss something?!

what i meant is that it shouldn't be too easy to get... so it should be high, but not impossible....